i5 Laptop to Buy this Year 2015

AnonymousDJ

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi! Good Day! :)
I'm new here! and I already visited this site a hundred times.

WANT TO USE THIS FOR HACKINTOSH
AND FOR HD VIDEO EDITING

Someone here in the Philippines selling his laptops worth almost Php 20,000.00 or $ 400 each. I'm just little Confuse about the specifications of the laptops. Almost the same, but different brands.

Sony Vaio E15
- i5 3rd Gen 3210M 2.50 - 3.10GHz
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM - 1600Mhz
- 500GB HDD
- AMD Radeon 7650M 1GB Dedicated Video card up to 3GB

MSI CX41
- i5 3rd Gen 3210M 2.5-3.1Ghz
- 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz
- 750 GB HDD
- AMD Radeon 7670M 2GB Dedicated Video card
- Intel 4000 HD Graphics 1.8GB Total
- 14 inch HD LED Display

Lenovo Ideapad G50
- i5-4200u 4th Gen Haswell 1.60 - 2.60GHz
- 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz
- 500 GB HDD
- Intel 4400 HD Graphics 1.6GB Total
- 15 inch HD LED Display

Someone told me that 4th Generation i5 must to consider.
Some rumours that MSI being heat to much. (worrying about hardware)
Sony has only 4GB of RAM.

sigh.//

took 3 days of thinking, asking, and researching about this question.

Thank you! Hope you help me a lot.

Solution
Lenovo is known for their quality, and that particular model has the best CPU (not by a large margin, though), but it also lacks a discrete video card. You can edit video using the HD 4400 integrated GPU, but it won't be as good as with a discrete GPU.

The Sony has less RAM, but that's easily upgradeable. It also has a slightly less capable discrete GPU which in not easily upgradeable (usually, depending on the system, it's not upgradeable at all).

The CX41 is a purpose built gaming machine which means among other things that the fans are going to be louder than the other two. That's usually the price of increased cooling performance, so it's a trade-off. At that price-point, it's a pretty decent gamer and should do well for...

Aljosa12

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi AnonymousDJ,

If you were asking me, I'd probably choose MSI CX41. I had MSI laptop, I didn't pay much attention on it, hit it few times (really hard), but at the end it was working again, perfectly! One thing that only bother me was that MSI laptop was really, really loud. Maybe it was just dust, I didn't check that back there, but its fans were working and spinning making loud sound for lt's fans. As much as I know, for video editing you need lots of free RAM space, as well as good video graphic card. If it was to graphic cards, MSI has two. AMD's one is better, more powerful and I think it'd do pretty good job. However, when laptop has two video cards, you can choose which one you want to use for selected application (by default, more requiring app leads to usage of better video card). In other hand, Lenovo is trust brand and will work great for sure, tho it has lower graphic card, but bigger screen. I definitely would not chose first one (Sony) for myself. If it's up to those three, in my opinion, second one is the best and would do you the job you want fastest.

Once again, that's how I see things. Wait for some more responses and decide what to buy.

Regards.

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Lenovo is known for their quality, and that particular model has the best CPU (not by a large margin, though), but it also lacks a discrete video card. You can edit video using the HD 4400 integrated GPU, but it won't be as good as with a discrete GPU.

The Sony has less RAM, but that's easily upgradeable. It also has a slightly less capable discrete GPU which in not easily upgradeable (usually, depending on the system, it's not upgradeable at all).

The CX41 is a purpose built gaming machine which means among other things that the fans are going to be louder than the other two. That's usually the price of increased cooling performance, so it's a trade-off. At that price-point, it's a pretty decent gamer and should do well for editing also.

My vote would be for the CX41.

Solution

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Sorry - I have no experience with it, but from everything that I've read trying to Hack a laptop isn't worth the effort. Assuming all the parts are compatible, it'll still take a lot of time and effort and when you're done, the best you can hope for is a bug-ridden laptop that's a poor imitation of a Mac, that you probably won't be able to update and may not be able to convert back to PC. Here's a good article:

http://lifehacker.com/5869731/can-i-hackintosh-my-laptop

AnonymousDJ

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
Ok! :) Thanks again to both of you. Right now, I currently running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Hackintosh by Niresh on my Desktop PC - Pentium Dual Core. Later, I'll buy that MSI Laptop then I'll try to Hackintosh that! I'll reply here if it's successful.

Thank you again and again. Well appreciated. =)
Both of you, I want to pick as an Answer.