i7 6700hq throttling heavily

Apr 22, 2018
i have a dell inspiron 7559 with gtx 960m and i7 6700hq .About a month back it started throttling and frames went down, later i downloaded throttlestop and saw that the temperatures were above 95 degrees when playing games[ fortnite] i disabled turbo boost and BD prochot but that didnt fix the problem. finally i undervolted it using intel XTU to -130mv. Now, the temps never hit 90degrees [always around 83 degrees when playing and 60 idle, sometimes 50 also] but it still thermal throttles
every 10 or 20 minutes. I need help regarding this problem Thx in advance!!

aquielisunari

Distinguished

And yet you suggest

have u repasted the cpu with a new or better thermal compound?if u havent its time to do so.

It may be helpful to let the OP know about those things. Most novices aren't capable of operating a soldering iron.

do u even know what a thermal paste is and how to repaste them?u dont need a soldering iron.this is not delidding a cpu.its just repasting.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
So it's soldered but the user can easily remove it? Many times the GPU i also soldered which i why manufacturers don't recommend upgrading the GPU. Am I wrong? Are CPU and GPU from laptop easily swapped like a desktop?

Apr 22, 2018

well this laptop is only about a year old. should I really repaste? , I mean the temps. aren't that high it only goes to about 80degrees under heavy load. I don't think the cpu should be throttling at these temps.

Well u should get a better paste since factory paste are rarely that great.a good paste+undervolt should keep temp at bay.some laptop manufacturer put the limit a lil bit below 90c.some can hit 93-95c before its thermal throttle

Apr 22, 2018

Okay thank you for your advice. i think im gonna use cooler master thermal paste is that ok?