i7 or i5 / GT540M vs 610m

0meg4

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Hi guys, maybe this is the zillion time you see a question like this, so thank you for even opening the thread.

I'm looking to buy an used laptop, and i've narrowed my options to this 2:

i5-2450M / 640GB 5400 / 4GB 1333 / 14." GT 540M
i7-2670QM / 750GB 5400 / 4GB 1333 / 15".610M

They are both priced the same.

I'm a photographer, so i use Lightroom and Photoshop for daily use. I'm not into huge rendering or that stuff, just normal adjustments to pictures.
On the other hand, i do play a lot. Mainly Dota 2 (this is the most important one).
Call of duty 4 (i know, it's old) with my college friends.
I want to try battlefield 3. I know it's a demanding one, and I'm not expecting to be on ultra, just playable 30 fps.

I must say, i need my photography work to be fast and i know for sure that the i5 does the job.
I'm trying hard to decide is on the gaming part. Is the i7 really going to make a difference? Because the 610m is weaker than the GT540.
If i get the i5 it would be enough to my work, and enough to my gaming, but i would not mind getting the i7 because I would be able to sell it after 1-2 years really easy, and will keep me confident that if my job gets heavier i would handle it.
The i7 is an asus series that is known for getting too hot and having overheating related problems (dc jack, screen, etc).. The lady that owns it always used it for office and internet, not big problem to me. I'm worried is about my use if i get it, if it will get fried by me, haha.
I've heard of BF3 taking advantage of 4 cores, but don't know for sure.
A friend told me that i'm just wanting to get the i7 because is the fanciest and fastest one :D
So bottomline, i just need your opinion on this, to see if i'm missing something.
Thank you guys in advance

Get the i5 with the GT 540m.

The GT 610m is pathetically weak. The Intel HD 4000 in the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge CPU is generally considered slightly more powerful than the GT 610m. It only as good as the GT 520m.

0meg4

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, i'm aware of that. I've watched some youtube videos where it does run in low settings BF3, but like 15fps.. so.
On the other hand, will the i5 be enough for light photo editing and enough for helping the GT540m on BF3?
If I get an SSD will make any improvement NOTICEABLE improvement?
Thanks again.

SSD only improves load / save / boot / shutdown times. They do not increase FPS in games.

The i5 should be enough for light photo editing. The i7 would probably be better, but that depends how much you will be doing.

As for playing games the i5 + GT 540m will beat the i7 + GT 610m. It's no contest.

How much are you looking to spend?

0meg4

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012

Didn't know that about SSD, so i'll just stick with that HD.

So, it's all down to the GPU (as usual).. Thanks for that.

They are in my local currency (Venezuela) at the same price, so nevermind about the price.

Thank you again :)