IBM Has Laid Off Over 3,000 Workers; Union Reacts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
@Martell1977 republicans are equally responsible. They should've produced a more likeable presidential candidate or done more in congress. Both sides parties are awful. Blaming the opposing party is just an easy way out. You'll see when we get our next republican president, its going to just be more finger pointing. Our whole issue is how our entire government wastes money and then taxes more to make up for it. The more they waste, the more they tax. Republican and Democrat alike. All corrupt. For an extremely obvious example look at both Republican and Democratic states groups trying to block Tesla Motors from selling straight to customers.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Why does everyone get so excited about politics? We basically have a one party system loyal to the top 1% of society and the Supreme Court made sure that this stays the same. By making companies the power brokers capable to fund anyone with unlimited money, they can easily place the next President, Senator, or Congressman in Washington. Where do candidates get the money to put a demeaning commercial on their opponents? We just flip flop from one party to the other that has close ties to a segment of the TOP 1%. Democrats are designed to throw bones at the middle class and the poor due to the lobbying efforts of law, healthcare, and educational institutions. Republicans are there to take away those bones and give them back to the top 1%. They both work hand in hand to make us believe they are fundamentally different. Who has voted to remove the fake unemployment numbers to show how the Global Economy is affecting society? Who has voted to remove the huge tax loop holes that create tax incentives to move jobs overseas and create huge deficits? We used to have import taxes to protect American jobs but now we have higher hidden taxes to support foreign workers. The more foreign products we buy the more foreign workers we create and support. The more we spend on foreign products the faster our money flies to a foreign country. If we have less money in America then we have Trillions of dollars in deficits. Our global trade is made of foreign factories with American investors selling to foreign counties. Why do we need American jobs? They imported Chinese labor at 75 cents per hour to build the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Why does everyone get so excited about politics? We basically have a one party system loyal to the top 1% of society and the Supreme Court made sure that this stays the same. By making companies the power brokers capable to fund anyone with unlimited money, they can easily place the next President, Senator, or Congressman in Washington. Where do candidates get the money to put a demeaning commercial on their opponents? We just flip flop from one party to the other that has close ties to a segment of the TOP 1%. Democrats are designed to throw bones at the middle class and the poor due to the lobbying efforts of law, healthcare, and educational institutions. Republicans are there to take away those bones and give them back to the top 1%. They both work hand in hand to make us believe they are fundamentally different. Who has voted to remove the fake unemployment numbers to show how the Global Economy is affecting society? Who has voted to remove the huge tax loop holes that create tax incentives to move jobs overseas and create huge deficits? We used to have import taxes to protect American jobs but now we have higher hidden taxes to support foreign workers. The more foreign products we buy the more foreign workers we create and support. The more we spend on foreign products the faster our money flies to a foreign country. If we have less money in America then we have Trillions of dollars in deficits. Our global trade is made of foreign factories with American investors selling to foreign counties. Why do we need American jobs? They imported Chinese labor at 75 cents per hour to build the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

Sedare

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
i bet if 1-5 executives took either a pay cut or were let go (maybe those who aren't helping get the company that profit they want) then 3k jobs could have been saved. I guess it's the good of the few instead of the many at IBM (and pretty much everywhere).

BMGRAHAM

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Alliance@IBM is not an IBM Union nor does it represent (nor represent the best interest) of IBMers. If things were done the way Alliance@IBM wanted them, there would be even more layoffs. Although I don't like layoffs, I love working for IBM and I could introduce you to thousands of like minded people in my network there. These are my own views.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
"The union claims that none of the IBM executives have sent out messages of regret or explanation to workers terminated in their divisions. Thus, these workers were given a notification that they were no longer needed, and shown the door."

I get so SICK AND TIRED of whineyassed unions and their bed wetting when things don't go THEIR WAY. I've been laid off not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES due to economic conditions (and poor management decisions) and NOT due to my own performance. Suck it up little girls and GET OVER IT. Life is tough, and you have to nut up and shut up and quitchawhinin'! Jesus I have no idea how this nation (US) could have been founded with the whiny b|tches we have in it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.