iCloud Slaps Apple with a Lawsuit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I might trademark "iTurd"

Just for shits and giggles of course......

I appologise, couldnt resist.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Lame.

Xcerion is the company that owned the iCould domain name AND the iCloud trademark. Apple bought both from them.

How come iCloud Communications didn't bother to go after Xcerion all this time for both the domain name and the iCloud trademark? Because Xcerion doesn't have money like Apple. Suddenly Apple buys the domain/trademark and now iCloud wants money.

iCloud Communcations won't get anything. They didn't even start "defending" their right to these names until after Apple bought them from Xcerion. iCloud also only just recently got into the cloud idea - formerly they just sold PBX telephony products. How convenient that they announce plans for cloud services now that Apple owns the trademark.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Lame.Xcerion is the company that owned the iCould domain name AND the iCloud trademark. Apple bought both from them.How come iCloud Communications didn't bother to go after Xcerion all this time for both the domain name and the iCloud trademark? Because Xcerion doesn't have money like Apple. Suddenly Apple buys the domain/trademark and now iCloud wants money.iCloud Communcations won't get anything. They didn't even start "defending" their right to these names until after Apple bought them from Xcerion. iCloud also only just recently got into the cloud idea - formerly they just sold PBX telephony products. How convenient that they announce plans for cloud services now that Apple owns the trademark.[/citation]

That's exactly what I was stating in my comment. Basically, they are trying to say even though they are technically using the name icloud without permission, they are suing because they feel jaded? It's pathetic. They quite obviously see a chance to gain a nice sum of money from this, with very little money required to do this, as well as no real impact upon them even if the grab is unsuccessful.

I wish that they wouldn't get a single dime, but I do see Apple paying them off in some way, shape, or form.. It's faster, easier, and reduces the window for negative PR. It's the way of things in the business world unfortunately. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.