Ideas on what to spend money on.

theonerm2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I have $800 plus a $50 amazon card. I have a few ideas on what to buy right now. I like computers. My PC is in my signature. I like video games. I like TV's. And other electronics.

I don't need to upgrade my PC. I also don't need to get a gaming console because my PC is awesome enough to play all the latest titles except for a few that won't come to PC sadly. I want to buy a few PC games. I'd kind of like to have a new laptop. Mine overheats sometimes and I have no idea why. It didn't always do that. But I checked for dust and not much dust was inside. Also I'd like some kodi boxes that I can hook up to all the TV's in my house. There are 3 TV's. The kodi box I was looking at is $27.99. And I'd like an HDMI hub that I can connect to my TV so I can hook up more devices to my TV. I don't know if I can get all that. But any suggestions on a good laptop would be appreciated. I want it to be cheap, have good battery life, and I'm ok with open box or refurbished. I prefer intel. It doesn't have to be a gaming laptop but if it plays games that's all the better. Also I prefer a 17.3 inch screen but 15.6 inch is ok too.

joex444

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
As someone with a 17.3" laptop, you don't want one if you'd ever carry it anywhere. You already have a good desktop, so having it in the same place all the time sounds rather dumb as you'd simply use your desktop instead.

Before you even consider any of this, ask yourself a few questions first:

1) Do you really have to spend it? Sometimes these posts are better answered as "Save your money" and sometimes they're people who have the money to spare.

2) Ignore the electronics for a moment, how is your furniture? Would you be happier with something like a nice desk or a nice chair?

3) How is your audio setup? Maybe you could improve that for your PC.

4) If you did want a laptop, what would you do with your old one? If you can get any money for it, you obviously improve your situation. Personally, for $850 I wouldn't imagine you'll get a gaming laptop.

theonerm2

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
1) Yes it must be spent.
2)I need a new desk. It doesn't have to be really nice though.
3)5.1 surround sound sounds great.
4)I'd let my uncle have my old one as his laptop is horrible. I have tried using it before and it's just so terrible. It scrolls on its own sometimes and the mouse doesn't work quite right. The keyboard sucks. It's a nightmare to use. I found an Acer laptop on newegg with an SSD, a 6th gen Core i5, a backlit keyboard, a 12 hour battery life, and a capable discrete nvidia gpu for only $459.99. It has a 15.6 inch screen.

TRENDING THREADS