Identifying a Hacked Wireless Router

alittlescared_78

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
I am not tech-savvy. I have an ex who is. I believe he found a way into my home, as my deadbolt has been heavily tampered with. My laptop was not there and I do not have a desk top, however I do have a wireless router that is password protected. He previously installed a key logger on a retired computer and I'm worried that is why he wanted in, as he fancies knowing my passwords and snooping through my accounts. So my questions:

1. Is it even possible for him to install a tracker or key logger on a wireless router? If so, would he be able to do so without knowing my password?

2. How can I tell if he has tampered with my router?

3. Unrelated, but if there are bugs in my home, what should I be looking for, and where?

Solution
There are 2 passwords associated with a router.
The WiFi password you use to connect your laptop to it, and the admin password for making changes on the router.

You can reset the router back to factory settings, and then set new admin and WiFi passwords.
But if he has physical access, all that doesn't matter. He can just redo what he possibly did before.

If this is actually going on, what you're looking for is a restraining order.

USAFRet

Illustrious
There are 2 passwords associated with a router.
The WiFi password you use to connect your laptop to it, and the admin password for making changes on the router.

You can reset the router back to factory settings, and then set new admin and WiFi passwords.
But if he has physical access, all that doesn't matter. He can just redo what he possibly did before.

If this is actually going on, what you're looking for is a restraining order.

Solution
And a police investigator. Sometimes having the PoPo's come sniffing around asking questions is enough to invoke the squirts and cause them to forego any future transgressions. And when it's not, then they're usually stupid enough to get themselves caught doing it, but you need to have police involvement from the start for anything to be effective.

Might also consider installing some kind of Nanny Cam that you can connect to a well hidden recording device. They sell fairly inexpensive versions online or at places like Harbor Freight. Not my area, but if you can get them on video it would go a long way towards charging them or at least blackmailing them into staying well away from you. Of course, that's all in addition to a restraining order but you need to get the police involved first if you want a judge to actually agree to issuing one in the first place.

alittlescared_78

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks. I had a restraining order on him years ago, but it didn't stop him or even slow him down. The nanny cam is an excellent idea. Getting caught may finally do the trick. I got a new modem and router today to be on the safe side and am having better locks put in. I'll look into nanny cams too. Maybe a doorbell one for outside since he hopefully will not me able to get in again.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You need to be really, really careful with those nannycams and doorbell things.
WiFi is NOT your friend for a security camera situation.

More holes than Swiss cheese.

USAFRet

Illustrious

A LOT of these wireless cameras are coming out of the factory with hardcoded credentials.
You can't change or delete, and the specifics are easily found.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/security-camera-risk-av-test,news-24292.html
https://www.zonealarm.com/blog/2015/02/how-secure-wifi-camera/
https://gizmodo.com/this-nest-security-flaw-is-remarkably-dumb-1793524264
https://www.csoonline.com/article/2851854/security/thinking-of-buying-a-security-camera-read-this-first.html

If you can access it via WiFi, maybe someone else can as well.

I have a 4 camera setup around the perimeter of my house. All hardwired.
You couldn't pay me to install a WiFi camera system.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You can have a camera system inside the apt that's all wired. Maybe even one aimed out the front window.

They make smaller (Meaning, four cameras not necessary) closed circuit type security systems that don't require any kind of wireless or cloud connection, and only connect to whatever device (hidden computer, dedicated recording machine, etc.) you want it connected to. ASAFRet likely knows a lot more about all these types of systems than I, but I know they exist and there are many models with movement triggered recording so that giant amounts of drive space aren't necessary just to catch a ten minute intruder.

As far as installing one and configuring it though, that is something you might want or need the assistance of either a professional or tech savvy friend for. These days there are options for every level of need and just about every price bracket, so there should certainly be something out there that fits the bill. Heck, depending on how friendly your police department is, if you can convince them that it's a real threat to your safety and is an ongoing issue, they might even be able to help you out in some way. I dunno on that but maybe worth asking about.

alittlescared_78

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks so much to both of you. I think the immediate threat of data security is over, but I'm going to look into my camera options to prevent this in the future. I appreciate the quick feedback and advice. If anyone has any specific hard-wired camera recommendations, especially for someone on a tight budget, I'm all ears, as I won't be able to do this for at least another month.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Short term and really really cheap, maybe something like this:
PEL4lux.png

https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-Securtiy-Surveillance-Wireless-Simulate/dp/B00SMN06LU

$6

Absolutely fake, but no one has to know. Deterrence is almost as good as actual camera footage.
I have one, very visible, on the outside of my house, along with the other real ones.
People, incl my tech savvy kids, think it is real until I tell them otherwise.

I had several break ins to vehicles parked at my shop for service AND in my garage at home. I installed several of these fake units around both locations, two outside and one inside but visible. Never had any more break ins after that. Important however is making sure that the "cable" that comes with it is in a position where it is feasible that it is actually a cable and is running somewhere other than just to the camera.

Installing it directly under an eve on a roof, for example, doesn't suggest it is a real unit unless you add additional coaxial cable running away to where it can no longer be seen because anybody with a teaspoon full of common sense will know that you didn't run the cable IN the planks of the roof itself, so if there is no cable running away from it and, for example, into the wall or somewhere else to make it look realistic, they won't buy it.

If you simply installe them on a verticle wall however, no one will be the wiser. Just, if it doesn't look real to you, it won't to anybody else either.