If I keep my phone on charge after the battery is at 100% will it damage the battery?

mazooni

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Hi, I just got a new phone and want to make it work like new as long as possible. Just wondering if the battery is at 100% but I still keep the charger on will it shorten the batteries life span overtime? Is it better to unplug the phone?

Solution
The phone stops fast charging and just trickle charges when the battery is full. No damage at all.

But I have heard though that if you expose the battery to trickle charges repeatedly over time that you will shorten the life span of the battery (i.e. - the amount of charging cycles until it stops being able to hold a true 100% charge anymore). Considering how fast the mobile can recharge itself (just under 2 hours for me when recharging from 10-15%), best bet would be to charge prior to bed, reboot and unplug at bedtime, and turn off all the radios you can in order to reduce discharge overnight (you'll probably only lose 3-4% by morning at worst).

ksham

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
No; it's fine. You cannot overcharge it. If it's full, it won't keep charging or else the battery will explode. New techs nowadays have better control and will prevent further charging. Same for laptops. I've had my laptop and cellphone plugged in for long periods of time and the battery isn't any worse than on regular usage.

Ravi Gagan

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
The phone stops fast charging and just trickle charges when the battery is full. No damage at all.

But I have heard though that if you expose the battery to trickle charges repeatedly over time that you will shorten the life span of the battery (i.e. - the amount of charging cycles until it stops being able to hold a true 100% charge anymore). Considering how fast the mobile can recharge itself (just under 2 hours for me when recharging from 10-15%), best bet would be to charge prior to bed, reboot and unplug at bedtime, and turn off all the radios you can in order to reduce discharge overnight (you'll probably only lose 3-4% by morning at worst).

Solution