Illegal or Not Illegal?....That is the Question.

Flam1ng Dem0n

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
So from the start. I bought a Laptop from Best But back during last August in 2011, and it has given me nothing but problems. First off before I ask the questions....here are my Laptops Specs:
My laptop is a Asus Republic of Gamers.
Model: G74SX-BBK9
SKU: 4566495
CPU - Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i7
Processor Speed - 2.0GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
Battery Type - 8-cell lithium-ion
Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) - 17.3"
System Memory (RAM) - 8GB
Type of Memory (RAM) - DDR3
Computer Hard Drive Size - 1TB
Optical Drive - Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Wired Network Adapter - Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking Adapter - Wireless-B+G+N

Here are my questions pertaining to my laptop.
First Question:
I when I got my laptop from Best Buy it was the "Display Model" Meaning it was their last one they had available. Does this mean that the Laptop can have more of a chance of having maintenance and/or hardware issues?

Second Question:
I have recently been having Network problems with the laptop. At first i thought it was just Windows 7 being a pain and not cooperating. But then I noticed it was happening everywhere. The symptoms were that when i started up windows the Wireless Network symbol on the taskbar (in the lower right hand corner) was not loading anything sort of network. All it gave me was the blue loading wheel but after a few seconds the blue wheel just froze and would like finish loading. I then tried to open the network adapters threw the control panel but when i clicked on the "Network and Sharing" option the window froze and nothing happened and once again i was getting the frozen blue wheel. BUT the wheel only appeared when i hovered over the "Network and Sharing" window but NOT when i hovered the mouse over the desktop.
After restarting my laptop more then once and nothing seemed to work and so I went into Safe Mode and did a system restore and that seemed to first the loading problem but did not completely fix the problem. After i did the first system restore I when back into normal Windows mode and tried to load up and network to use. But i then noticed that the computer was not able to find a network adapter. So i went into the "Network and Sharing" control panel (which i was able to successfully load this time), but when it pulled up there were no installed network adapters. I was rather annoyed at this point because how can a Laptop NOT recognize the network adapter that had been soldered to its motherboard.
I was able to give up for the night but then I tried one more thing to see if that would fix it. I tried (yet again) another system restore. THAT seemed to fix the problem once more....but completely.

My question here is is it illegal to dismantle by desoldering curtain pieces of a laptops motherboard and then to go and resolder and new/working piece in the old pieces place? And if it is not illegal to do such a thing....can doing so decrease the performance output and the ability of the hardware to function? I am asking because before I did the second system restore I called up Best Buy and talked to a Geek Squad Member and the guy said that that is what they do when there is a problem with a curtain piece of hardware. Can they get in legal trouble for doing such a thing?

Third Question:
I the same laptop I am now having another problem....a problem with the battery. Here is what is going on. It started about last week when I turned on my Laptop on the bus (going home) and JUST after the log-in screen popped up the whole laptop shutdown all together. I tired to start it back and it did but this time it got just past the Asus Logo screen and then it again shutdown completely. I know that the battery had been fully charged for but for some odd reason it had completely shutdown. When i got home, I plugged it into a wall outlet and pressed the power button and it started working again. I then continued to use it but when I unplugged the laptop as i was shutting it down for the night it did it again. Just i had unplugged the main power cable from the laptop port it snapped off. It had not even finished logging me out of Windows. This seems to happen continuously for some time and after a while I had had enough and so I decided to go to the Local Computer Renaissance where I had had a internship for a entire summer. I asked my old boss (who has been in the computer business for a very long time) for some help and advise on what was wrong with me computer. I showed him what was happening as well as the reoccurring symptoms and he said that there is something wrong with the wiring/circuitry the tell the computer that there is a battery powering it. He then told me that it seems it only works with the power cable plugged in because it ether has two power currents or the external power supply it forcing a constant flow of power thus keeping my laptop power on. And since this is the case that is why my laptop will not stay on when it is unplugged.
My question here is....Is this true? I know a Duel Power current supply does exist (I know because I took a class that described such a design method), but is the wiring/circuitry malfunctioning really a possible thing?

Thank you for any help given!

Zach

(1) Not really.
(2) Usually, network adapters are installed in card format. No soldering required.
Far left side, next to HDD, with the white antenna cable attached.l
9ba6a70fb0.jpg

Flam1ng Dem0n

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

Sure, I can do that. Is what my old boss said true? That the wiring/circuitry in the battery that is attached the laptop is messed up. Is there such a thing? He said that the wiring (that tells that laptop there is a battery in the battery slot) is not working or malfunctioning. Is this a possibility?

Thanks

Flam1ng Dem0n

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

Sorry if what I am saying it confusing. He was talking some sort of wiring within the battery that is possibly causing the problem. I am guessing he is talking about the wiring the tells the laptop that there is a battery inserted into the laptop. If that is not a real thing......then can you please tell me what could be causing the power issue?

Thank you

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

Yes, that's possible. The only way to find out is to put in a different battery (of the same type of course) and see if it still doesn't detect it.

Do not open or mess the battery itself, those things can explode if handled the wrong way.

Flam1ng Dem0n

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I really appreciate everyone's help! I was talking to a fellow classmate earlier today and he told me that Toshiba gaming series seems to have better reliability and performance then the Asus Republic of Gamers series. Is this a possibility? Is I where to get a Toshiba laptop....would I now have as many problems? Or would there be more problems? If the Toshiba gaming laptops are more reliable and less of a hassle....I might switch over to a Toshiba instead of a Asus. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you

Flam1ng Dem0n

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

Well in the case.....not so much. From what I have been saying I have had nothing but problems really. So....Would a Toshiba Gaming laptop be any better.....or worse? I am looking at this one here right now.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+17.3%22+Qosmio+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+500GB+and+750GB+Hard+Drives+-+Red+Horizon/3529302.p?id=1218410279645&skuId=3529302

Would it be any better then what I have? Has anyone used this one and gotten any bad results?

Thanks

mitunchidamparam

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

One thing I am sure about is that trying to fix the hardware is possible but it needs experience and time.
I would suggest a software solution.
First you said it was a display model.
So certainly the OS on it has been screwed around by ignorant people.
Secondly the problems you have are not always there , if there was a hardware problem , they should always happen.
Thirdly you have a warranty i guess so , dont mess with it.

The 2 things you can try are :
1) Reinstalling windows 7 and see if you have the problems.
2)Installing a Linux os and check whether you have the same problems.

As for the battery , when it got powered off automatically, does it boot again if you press power or it doesnot?

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Can't speak for the current state of Toshiba gaming laptops but in '07 they were overpriced compared to Asus with no real benefit from the cost. Bought a brand new Toshiba gaming laptop and the video driver support was terrible. It ran Oblivion like a dog. 7 *months* after purchase and long since completing Oblivion, Toshiba released a new driver that made it run very well. I'd call that driver release schedule unacceptable.

On the plus side, the Toshiba went to both Iraq and Afghanistan, took a beating, and is still functioning well.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I would look into a BIOS update for the ASUS. I recently worked on 2 Acer's that would not work without the power adapter plugged in. It turned out to be a bug in the BIOS that was easily fixed with an update.

As for buying a new laptop, I'd suggest not getting another from BestBuy. I know that my local one will take a computer that is returned as defective and, if possible, just re-install Windows and sell it again as new.

Try xoticpc.com they have some nice ones on there and a nice variety of options.

Flam1ng Dem0n

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012

Thanks for the advise about not buying Computers from Best Buy. I can completely agree. I used to buy items from there but after purchasing my laptop from my local store I really regret it. Their Geek Squad knows little to nothing about many computer issues. And most (if not all) of the time when they don't know what to do they say they will have to send it out to their main repair center.

Also I have never heard of xoticpc.com. Are they a newer website? What do you think about buying Laptops from Tiger Direct? And NO I will not buy a Laptop from NewEgg......because their return policy it horrible and very limited.

Thanks

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
The down side to buying a laptop from places like Tigerdirect, Newegg and BestBuy is that you can't customize your build. xoticpc has been around for a while (1999 according to their site) and I haven't heard any complaints about them. I haven't heard from anyone I've referred to them that they needed to return their laptops, so I'm not sure about the level of customer service they have for that.

Have you check the TD policy yet?
At least NewEgg gives you 30 days. At TD it's might be 14 days )or 30 days, depending on the model_.