Illicit Downloaders Repent with Piracy Payback

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
If it weren't for piracy I would have never found great movies/ songs, and thus sought them out and then become a paying customer for the DVD/album. Also I would have never told my friends how much x movie rules or how great x artist is (which they then go and buy).

I only have so many hours in a day to be exposed to stuff, and if I'm using your stuff because I "stole" (copied) it, then at least I'm not looking at the other guys stuff...and if I do like it, I will gladly pay for it...and recommend it to my friends...who will then recommend it to their friends...

Piracy is free word of mouth advertising, and if you can't build a business model around that, then you should rethink your business strategies.

(Cue flames/thumbs down...)

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]So you're saying you should be innocent if you stole someone's TV only to find out it didn't work when you got it home. Then you went out and bought a new one. You still committed a crime. I'm not innocent either, but your statement is ridiculous.[/citation]
No. It would be more like you go to your friends house all the time to watch TV because he has HBO and cable. You didn't pay for HBO but you are watching it. This is how absurd people like you are. Downloading music, movies, TV, and books is no different than borrowing from your friend. This happens all the time in the real world yet people don't think this is wrong. Look at libraries, why doesn't the RIAA/MPAA go after them? Simple, the public will not allow it. I've watched many new DVD releases by borrowing them from library. I didn't pay for anything.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]bayouboy[/nom]No. It would be more like you go to your friends house all the time to watch TV because he has HBO and cable. You didn't pay for HBO but you are watching it. This is how absurd people like you are. Downloading music, movies, TV, and books is no different than borrowing from your friend. This happens all the time in the real world yet people don't think this is wrong. Look at libraries, why doesn't the RIAA/MPAA go after them? Simple, the public will not allow it. I've watched many new DVD releases by borrowing them from library. I didn't pay for anything.[/citation]

Actually it'd be more like everyone in your neighborhood goes to your friend's house to watch HBO because he's the only one paying for it. No, not every single person watching "would've paid for it otherwise" but poll enough blocks and the number of people who "would've paid for it otherwise" I can guarantee would not be zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.