Im looking for a basic laptop... BUT

uneaq

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello, I hate laptops - but I now need one for school and it will not be used for gaming - at all. I am about to study Computer Engineering, and there is certain specs I want in my laptop... ALSO! Im in a hurry, I need a laptop before 27th of June - and Im practically one hand short, making physical writing impossible.

Specs of desire:

- About 1600*900 resolution or more, 1366*768 I reccon is not enough. As im used to multiple desktop monitors, I really want a descent display for multitasking (No Mac). Another thing - I want a 13 inch laptop, doesnt mean Ill end up with one, but its what im aiming for. Small screen - high resolution.

- About 128gb SSD. Or atleast the possibilty to upgrade to one (No Mac). I just need some programs installed, no need to store stuff.

- About 8gb 1333mhz DDR3 ram. Or atleast the possibilty to upgrade. I like having virtual machines running.

- Sandy Bridge. What to say, cant run off buying older stuff than that? I believe I only need the low budget i3's atm, could always upgrade later. (see next point).

- Intergrated GPU. 3000 HD intel graphic solution will be enough. Also I believe a dedicated GPU without exceptions *** up thermal efficiency, or atleast it shortens the battery life\time. This is narrowing down the search, I am having a real struggle finding laptops without a dedicated GPU.

I have found some 13 inches without the desired screen resolution, and I have found some 15 inches with all the specs desired - apart from the size.
Is this the best I`ll do?
Sorry for not posting any of my results so far, but searching for the specs I want all I get is 13 inches with 1366*768 or 15 inches with 1600*900.

Can someone please either:
A. Find me a 13 inch laptop with more than 1366*768 resolution, and the specs above met.
B. Find me a 14 inch laptop with all the above specs met.
C. Convince me that 15 inch is portable enough.
D. Convince me that a dedicated GPU isnt all that bad.

My budget is about 2000$. At this point I have already stretched the budget a bit, but if the search goes off board Ill sacrifice my sandy bridge desktop build, and throw in another 1k...

HALP PLX :( Sorry for the bad english.

- uneaq

uneaq

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
im giving up.

15inch here i come.

Edit: I wrote this out of desperation when I decided there is no way to have less than 1600*900 resolution. Sorry!

uneaq

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
The T420s is under consideration, apart from the design it really is perfect. And to be honest, the design is not that important - but I would love to see an alternative.
Describing whats wrong with the design I would have to start with the trackpad and the mousepad, it just find it outdated - Im probably being an ass about that..

Checking out the dell now, havent considered that one yet.

uneaq

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
What im getting at with the Latitude, it says "Full HD" in the advertising, but in details it says "14.0" HD(1366x768)" - and I cant seem to customize it.

EDIT: Just realized im probably in violation of some "spamming rule" at this forum, sorry for putting up all these tiny replies.
I also have to get some sleep, will be back in some hours. Thanks again for the replies, they have been most helpful.

It's only the 'quick ship' pre-configured Latitude E6420 where you can't select the 1600x900 display.
Available for shipping tomorrow Jun 14th.

The configure to order models have that option available. And you can get one shipped on 22 Jun.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't know how that full HD crept in. Only the 15" laptops have that option.

uneaq

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
You are in posession of some magic I dont it seems, the Toshiba I cant seem to find with both Sandy Bridge and the 1600*900 display I want. And the Dell is ruled out to release date.
Also I believe the 800dollar saved on the 15inch laptop ( http://www.multicom.no/SystemConfigurator.aspx?q=st:10603199;fl:0 - display customized for me "personally" to a FullHD one) compared to the T420s is worth it when it comes to the size.

Haha, sorry for being harsh :O
However, I did find a 15 inch with a FullHD display and all specs customable. It was a Norwegian company that decided they could make one for me with these specs, so it doesnt really have an international brand name I think.

Friends that do programming agrees that the highest possible resolution would be preferable when programming - it seems like my preferences when searching for a new laptop in the beginning was off.

Thank you very much for your time spent, and to anyone else seeking what I originally wanted - the 3 computers mentioned in this thread is what I believe is the best suggestions.

Thanks again,

- uneaq.