News I'm testing Hulu with Live TV to cut the cord — here's the pros and cons

Aug 8, 2021
We just cut the cord (was paying $150 for cable) and after several weeks of researching, chose Hulu Live TV. We also signed up for Philo for several channels not on Hulu. Philo is a bit clunky and doesn't have the Recent option that I love about Hulu. But for the few channels that Philo has, I'm learning to live with the clunkiness! Our total bill is now $72.
Initially, I was leaning towards YouTube, but they don't offer the History channel which is a must-have for me. I researched other ways to get the History channel but couldn't find anything I was happy with. It's only been a week with our new streaming services so time will tell. And the best thing about all of this is knowing streaming services change from time to time and I plan to stay up-to-date with the latest offerings. After all, you can cancel your current subscriptions with no problem and try a new service!

Aug 8, 2021
Good article! I'm an old guy who had cable since 2000. I cut cable about five years ago. I have been with YouTube TV. I chose this service because I watch a lot of local sports and includes all my teams in the SF Bay Area. The hardest part of cutting was the representative wanting to "save" me as a customer, only doing their job. I later cut the internet with them and went with Google Fiber. That's a separate story, but it's nice not having a modem and router cluttering up my small space. Just a high speed router. Savings over cable are not huge, but hey it's $50 month. Another nice part is if I want to cancel YouTube TV I can do it online just like other services. I think they have a pause service too. I'll read a little more about HULU and perhaps try it in the future. I'm still trying to figure out if I can set up my TV to open on YouTube TV rather than use the menu to arrow over every time.

Rich 1944

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
I hope this appears in the right spot. I tested them all a long time ago when people were complaining about DirectTV Now or whatever it was called for stuttering. I chose Sling because it had all my channels (less than 10 that I watch) and it was less expensive.

But as to stuttering, I had no problem with Now and no problem with any other. I only had 100 Mbps at the time. Everybody except people in FL were complaining about DTVN (well maybe not everybody).

One person brought up the idea that it was a locality problem because of the way the services use a network of big routers that they contract with or something like that but right or wrong, I didn't have a problem with any of them, but as you can see, that was a long time ago.

Rich 1944

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
commenting on Robyns - Like you no service at the time had Hist or I think AMC together except Sling Blue which is the one that I had mentioned in my other comment that I chose because it had all my channels. Channels came first, then price and luckily the one with all my channels was the lowest price.

Aug 8, 2021
commenting on Robyns - Like you no service at the time had Hist or I think AMC together except Sling Blue which is the one that I had mentioned in my other comment that I chose because it had all my channels. Channels came first, then price and luckily the one with all my channels was the lowest price.
I looked into Sling Blue & Orange, but it lacked a few channels me and hubby liked. I remember reading an article stating a lot of people sign up for 2 services to get the channels they want and it's still cheaper than cable!

Aug 8, 2021
I'm wondering why they don't create channel numbers. They could pick any numbers they wanted, but it would make navigating on a standard TV much easier. In fact, having been a Comcast and a Spectrum user, many channel numbers are the same or close. Most of us learn our favorite channel numbers, and then we could negotiate as normal for those we don't remember.

I'm wondering why they don't create channel numbers. They could pick any numbers they wanted, but it would make navigating on a standard TV much easier. In fact, having been a Comcast and a Spectrum user, many channel numbers are the same or close. Most of us learn our favorite channel numbers, and then we could negotiate as normal for those we don't remember.
A lot of these services (including Comcast/XFinity) are trying to push the "Voice activation" function on their remote controls. Why press three or four buttons when I can just press one button and say what channel I want to watch?

-Wolf sends

Aug 8, 2021
I'm testing all the cord-cutting services to see which is the best for me. Here's what I like and hate about Hulu with Live TV.

I'm testing Hulu with Live TV to cut the cord — here's the pros and cons : Read more
In a follow-up to my previous post, I have to admit the one thing I miss about cable is the ability to choose a channel by its channel number. Maybe someday, someone will invent a streaming remote with numbers that the user can program on their own, matching the channels with a programmed number!

Reactions: ChicagoRus
Aug 8, 2021
I just posted the same thing!! I remember when first learning to navigate my streaming services, I would see channel logos that I had no idea who they were! I had to Google it to find out!

Reactions: ChicagoRus
Aug 8, 2021
A lot of these services (including Comcast/XFinity) are trying to push the "Voice activation" function on their remote controls. Why press three or four buttons when I can just press one button and say what channel I want to watch?

-Wolf sends

I can see it now "Change to CNN", and the TV responds "Pizza ordered!" :)

Reactions: Wolfshadw