Solved! I'm totally confused with what tablet to buy...

Apr 11, 2019
I've basically confused myself in what I want/need..

I've been looking for a new tablet for a while but as I now have a trip to Australia planned I've started to look into it a bit more. I'll be going away to Australia on my own for 3 weeks, I'm looking for a device mainly for browsing, watching films, social media etc. I have a portable harddrive (1TB WD Passport)so can store photos and additional media on that and a 'ravepower filehube' whicxh I would like to use along side my new tablet. Initially I was looking at a Galaxy Tab S4 as I can add a keyboard if I want, but once I started researching online I kept finding alternative options, such as the Surface Go or even a HP Envy 13 x360. As you can see I've lost track of what I want. I've answered the questions below so I hope between this so advice or guidance would be great.

1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet? Yes / No.

2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? If so specify (iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Windows RT, Windows 8, etc) - I currently have an android phone and would prefer to stay with android or windows.

3. What screen size do you have in mind? And your preferred resolution (not required but helps)? - around the 10inch mark

4. Preferred Brand(s) - (ex. Microsoft, Samsung, Asus, Apple) Samsung/Microsoft/Huawei - I'm flexible

5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) (ex. Hannspree, Acer, etc.) - none

6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet? can stretch to £600 for a great device

7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only? I'm happy with Wifi, but 4G capabilities may help if I can add a local sim while travelling

8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month? UK EE

9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement? - No I don't - even though I keep steering towards ones with optional keyboards or 2in1s

10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet? Deezer / Netflix / outlook / facebook / instagram / twitter /

Solution
Well firstly, Android has multiple versions... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

So you would need to know what version you are using now on your phone and what apps you wish to use, to make sure that the tablet you purchase is capable of the same. Many tablets are using older versions of Android and that can lead to problems if you are wanting to use some newer apps. You can check what version of Android your phone is using by going into "Settings" and then "About Phone". On some phones the info will show right below the words "About Phone". If it does not on yours then tap "About Phone" and scroll down to the section that says "Android Version".

I would suggest you stick with a tablet that has a newer...
Well firstly, Android has multiple versions... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

So you would need to know what version you are using now on your phone and what apps you wish to use, to make sure that the tablet you purchase is capable of the same. Many tablets are using older versions of Android and that can lead to problems if you are wanting to use some newer apps. You can check what version of Android your phone is using by going into "Settings" and then "About Phone". On some phones the info will show right below the words "About Phone". If it does not on yours then tap "About Phone" and scroll down to the section that says "Android Version".

I would suggest you stick with a tablet that has a newer version. At least Android 6.0 or newer. Anything older than that will likely give you problems with newer apps, and getting it upgraded usually has limitations, more so in tablets than in phones.

As to the keyboard, many tablets are capable of using an external keyboard, usually Bluetooth.

Lastly, you didn't mention, but it should be a key factor, in the amount of space you get with the tablet. Many people think, oh well I can just get a SD card to add space. Yes, you can do that, but that adds "External" storage, not "Internal" storage, and most apps need "Internal" storage to run. And, sadly, many devices do not allow converting the SD card to be "Internal" storage. Because of this, it is important to get a device with the right amount of "Internal" storage for what you will be using it for.

Solution