Images of Strange New PS3 Model Leak

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]if u ask me with a die shink, adding PS2 chip back for PS2 backward compatibilty on it would almost cost to nothing.I just find my long dead PSX in my store room. Guess what I am not being able to play my huge pile of PSX game other than DLing a PSX BIOS + ripping it into HDD and play using epsxe.[/citation]
this is the direction sony should take in the near future. I have no doubt that a new ps3 with ps2 compatibility would fly off shelves at any price.

frish

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I kind of like it tbh. Although the photo quality is bad so I can't say for certain. I do miss the first design though. I really liked that one.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I think part of this is to lower costs for them and get more sales with a cheaper console, but I'm sure they also decided to do this to remove the exploits from the previous phat and slim models.
This means current nand/nor flashers won't work and probably remove or change the usb dev mode. They've done this with the psp before when people found out the dev mode (pandora battery "magic memory stick").

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]if u ask me with a die shink, adding PS2 chip back for PS2 backward compatibilty on it would almost cost to nothing.I just find my long dead PSX in my store room. Guess what I am not being able to play my huge pile of PSX game other than DLing a PSX BIOS + ripping it into HDD and play using epsxe.[/citation]

You do realize a PSX is a PS1 and not a PS2? PS3 already has backwards compatibility with (most) PS1 games, not PS2 unless you have one of the original launch PS3's. I do think they should add PS2 compatibility back in though, should be fairly easy now, after all they've had how many years to work all the bugs out!? I have many games for my PS1 and PS2, I would love to be able to play them on just one console instead of 2. But I'm not gonna hold my breath on getting PS2 compatibility back, my PS2 fat still works

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]beoza[/nom]You do realize a PSX is a PS1 and not a PS2? PS3 already has backwards compatibility with (most) PS1 games, not PS2 unless you have one of the original launch PS3's. I do think they should add PS2 compatibility back in though, should be fairly easy now, after all they've had how many years to work all the bugs out!? I have many games for my PS1 and PS2, I would love to be able to play them on just one console instead of 2. But I'm not gonna hold my breath on getting PS2 compatibility back, my PS2 fat still works[/citation]
PS2 compatibility was never an issue about bugs as much as cost. The first wave of PS3's had a physical Emotion Engine (PS2 processor) in there, which was in addition to the Cell Broadband Engine. Sony had to reduce costs in order the keep to price to stay competitive with the XBox 360. But it's been years since, so there shouldn't be a reason why Sony can't add a 22nm/32nm Emotion Engine in there; should be dirt cheap by now, and would add a lot of value to the PS3.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]PS2 compatibility was never an issue about bugs as much as cost. The first wave of PS3's had a physical Emotion Engine (PS2 processor) in there, which was in addition to the Cell Broadband Engine. Sony had to reduce costs in order the keep to price to stay competitive with the XBox 360. But it's been years since, so there shouldn't be a reason why Sony can't add a 22nm/32nm Emotion Engine in there; should be dirt cheap by now, and would add a lot of value to the PS3.[/citation]

They had bugs when they removed the actual PS2 hardware emulation to save money. To keep PS2 emulation, they used software emulation to save money, although this left compatibility at about 70-80% supposedly.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
This looks like it was taken from either an ancient camera, or a long time ago. I doubt highly this is a PS3 new model. Sony may very well release a newer model, but it will not be this one.

G

What's strange about it. I was expecting something like an Okama Game Sphere or or a toroid or something.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I dont think it looks too bad. Unlike earlier Playstations, the PS3 includes a hdd, so shrinking it too much more is not really ann option. These days it's more about reducing power consumption and reducing noise.

Oh a 500gb hdd model sounds great.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]beoza[/nom]You do realize a PSX is a PS1 and not a PS2? PS3 already has backwards compatibility with (most) PS1 games, not PS2 unless you have one of the original launch PS3's. I do think they should add PS2 compatibility back in though, should be fairly easy now, after all they've had how many years to work all the bugs out!? I have many games for my PS1 and PS2, I would love to be able to play them on just one console instead of 2. But I'm not gonna hold my breath on getting PS2 compatibility back, my PS2 fat still works[/citation]I do not own a console anymore, most PS3 game are not PS3 exclusive there is little reason to buy a console, I just stick with PC game.
I merely explaining the situation that someone could be same situation with me, but with huge library of PS2 he might be appreciate the backward compatibilty PS3 than getting another PS2. Add this does give Sony to grab at least some of these customer. The reason Sony drop the PS2 compatibility back then is for cutting cost, now that with all the die shrink, adding it back almost cost nothing. a PS2 chip using 40/32/28nm? it is cheap to make!

G

[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]
Since you guys thumbed me down before, I'm going to go ahead and thumb down EVERY SINGLE comment on this article....j/k, lol[/citation]

It's ok. I regularly vote every comment down on this site. I will vote both of yours up, though.

dawei

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]Probably larger to keep it from overheating. When the PS2 slim came out, the PS2 had been in the market for what? 4 years already, so miniaturization allowed it by then. But nowadays with multi core processors and SLI/Crossfire graphics cards, this beast will need better cooling then could be accomplished by a slim case.I know when I play BF2 on my PC, it gets almost 8 degree's hotter in the room. I've actually been considering running duct work to my computer to have it vent the heat exhaust into my Central AC air return ducts.[/citation]

So you're saying advances in PC graphics technology results in the PS3 needing more cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.