iMessage App for Android Raises Massive Security Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
How about not trying to use Apple proprietary crap and support universal things like WhatsApp?
The risk is not worth it...

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I don't really understand the big deal about iMessage. Don't most data plans come with unlimited SMS these days anyway? Why use data when you have unlimited free SMS?

rcm

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
The "data is all processed through a server in China." It has "code to download other Android programs."

It could have been developed so the Chinese can eavesdrop on the American people.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
JD88
I don't really understand the big deal about iMessage. Don't most data plans come with unlimited SMS these days anyway? Why use data when you have unlimited free SMS?

When you travel abroad all you need is a wifi connection and you can message people on iMessage, its a huge advantage. OOTB (out of the box) feature on iPhones.

Especially for work and vacation where text messages are really expensive its saved me a lot of cash

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
SMS is a thing of the past especially when you travel overseas allot. I was surprised when ATT charged me 25 cents a text both send and receive when i went to Canada on business even though i had their overpriced $15 for 1500 texts a month. Appearently Canada is international and you need an overpriced international texting plan.

After i got that bill for over $100 i said F that, removed both my text plan and my data plan from my smart phone and installed Whatsapp. I have wifi at home, work and optimum wifi when i walk around in the city. My bill dropped from $80 to less than $50 a month and thats with 20 cents pay per texts and i only text about 20 times a month max which equalls about $4 pay per text. Everything else is through Whatsapp which i will gladly pay the $1 per year for. And this is on a 2 year contract.

Whatsapp is cross platform.

BBM and iMessage are late to the race and the only people who still use it are people who do not know they have a choice to install and use something else.

threehosts

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
The Chinese server is actually operated by the CIA and the App download code is just for Prism. So, there is nothing to worry about, move along folks!

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I used to have Android, but as a software developer I found that most of the apps I downloaded from the google PlayStore where doing something nasty in the background. It's not going to change all the while Google takes an unvetted approach to the PlayStore.

Status
Not open for further replies.