Question Impedance Difference

Aug 1, 2019
Hello. I am kind of new to audio stuff and I'm a but puzzled about a thing. I have a pair of 6 ohm speakers and an amp which says that to work with both speakers at a time, the speakers need to have 8-16 ohms but everything works great with my speakers except the phono, which I assume is from an unrelated issue. What I don't understand is how does everything work even though, the speakers have less impendance then needed.

Speaker impedance varies with frequency so you can have a 6 ohm speaker that goes from 4 ohms up and still be rated 6 ohms. Another speaker that goes from 6 ohms up can be rated at 6 ohms but will be easier for the amp to handle.
It's also possible that at higher volumes for longer periods of time the amp may shut down.

Aug 8, 2019
Speaker impedance varies with frequency so you can have a 6 ohm speaker that goes from 4 ohms up and still be rated 6 ohms. Another speaker that goes from 6 ohms up can be rated at 6 ohms but will be easier for the amp to handle.
It's also possible that at higher volumes for longer periods of time the amp may shut down.
Hello.

I have a set of 5.1 ch speaker from SONY HTIB which are rated 2.7 ohm. Now I am planing to use them with 6 - 8ohm rated receiver. I know this combination is not really a good idea. But I still need to manage my budget. So I'd like to know that how critical is it to use this combination and will this make my new AVR damage?

Thanks

Using a 2.7 ohm speaker on a 6-8 ohm rated receiver will either blow it up or cause it to go into protection.
Just won't work.
If you have to use them then wire a 4 ohm 10 watt power resistor in series with the plus speaker wire. That will raise the impedance of the speaker to a safe value.
You will also have a problem in that HTS systems rarely have the amp for the subwoofer inside the subwoofer cabinet and AVRs never have sub amps built in.

Reactions: Aung_Thiha
Aug 8, 2019
Using a 2.7 ohm speaker on a 6-8 ohm rated receiver will either blow it up or cause it to go into protection.
Just won't work.
If you have to use them then wire a 4 ohm 10 watt power resistor in series with the plus speaker wire. That will raise the impedance of the speaker to a safe value.
You will also have a problem in that HTS systems rarely have the amp for the subwoofer inside the subwoofer cabinet and AVRs never have sub amps built in.
Thank you.

ASK THE COMMUNITY