Solved! Importing a laptop from USA to AUS

zilla7777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
How would someone go about importing a laptop from the USA? Are there any surcharges on top of the original price I need to take into account? If so are there discounts for high school students? Thanks in advance

Solution
(1) No real discounts for HS students other than the Normal "Back to Shcool" sales which is ending. Some HSs offer a reduced pricing, but this is limited to their student only.

(2) Surcharge - quite possible, in the form of Customs and or VAT - This you could possibly check by "googling" AUS customs and VAT for your country. Do not know if AUS has a Value added Tax (VAT) the same as England.

(3) A bigger problem is finding a vender in the US that ships overseas. Could also Check Taiwan - BUT SELECT vender carefully. I'm in the US, but found my Blu-ray laptop drive at half the US price at a Taiwan site. I paid no customs (have no VAT here) and had the dive within one week.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
(1) No real discounts for HS students other than the Normal "Back to Shcool" sales which is ending. Some HSs offer a reduced pricing, but this is limited to their student only.

(2) Surcharge - quite possible, in the form of Customs and or VAT - This you could possibly check by "googling" AUS customs and VAT for your country. Do not know if AUS has a Value added Tax (VAT) the same as England.

(3) A bigger problem is finding a vender in the US that ships overseas. Could also Check Taiwan - BUT SELECT vender carefully. I'm in the US, but found my Blu-ray laptop drive at half the US price at a Taiwan site. I paid no customs (have no VAT here) and had the dive within one week.

Solution