impossible to unsubscribe

Feb 10, 2018
Does anyone else have any success in unsubscribing from Tom's Guide? I've tied for months to get rid of the pop-ups, which are extremely annoying (I would like control of my own computer, thank you very much), but the unsubscribe button results in an error.

It can be done but only by the management staff in New York. I can put the e-mail address here for you if you wish but stick with us - we're worth it.

On your browser, you can install Add-ons that prevent you from seeing the adverts. Ghostery is one, uBlock Origin is another and Adblock Plus is still relevant even though they take money from some advertisers to be taken off the list.

Feb 10, 2018

Thanks for the info. I think this is a bad business model, entrapping people who visit Toms Guide. The value of the information you offer is for me outweighed by the annoyance of ceding even a small amount of control over my computer. The issue is not so much the ads to be seen when visiting the site (I don't visit the site any more since this came up). The problem is the pop-ups which appear on my screen 2-3 times per day. That interjects an ad for the site itself which I find annoying, but it wouldn't be such an irritation if I was allowed to unsubscribe from the site. So, yes, I would appreciate the e-mail to contact corporate headquarters to beef about this to them.

Feb 10, 2018

Thanks. Again, I have no objection to ads per se when I visit the site, only to the popups which appear on my screen when I haven't visited Tomsguide. The other part of my objection is the site's not allowing anyone to unsubscribe without a lot of bother (i.e., posting to a users' thread and trying to acquire an e-mail address).

I just heard the ticket has been passed to the Development Team because the programmers have to do the job. It's all because of, say a poster with a thousand posts on the clock, wants to leave and have all his history deleted. The disruption of that lands on the forum because without those posts, dozens of threads are rendered useless so it has to be looked at minutely.

All that said, good luck wherever you go.