In the market for a laptop (FAQ Used)

yuag

Estimable
Aug 3, 2014
1. What is your budget?
I'd like to spend $1200 or less.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-15.6 inches. I think 17.3 is probably too big and less than 14 would be too small.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
At least 1920x1080. I do not want 1366x768.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Weight is a 'nice to have' but lighter the better obviously. I don't think it'll fully replace my desktop.
5. How much battery life do you need?
4 hours should suffice.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'm a casual gamer but would like to consider using it for gaming. My current list and backlog currently consist of: DC Universe, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Civilization V, Bioshock Infinite, Arkham Asylum. I'd like to be able to play at the high resolution if possible, but would settle for medium.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Internet browsing/blue tooth streaming to an external speaker for music; documents
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Aside from the game storage mentioned above, the rest of my work is either on the desktop or in the cloud. Ideally I'd want an SSD but I think that may bring me over budget (see questions later).
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Nothing specific. I'm used to NewEgg, Amazon, and BestBuy but am not opposed to other sites I've seen referenced here.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Ideally at least 3 years or longer.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I do not need one.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm not picky on brands. I'm open to suggestions.
13. What country do you live in?
USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have 2-3 must-have's. 1) I really want a touchscreen. I have one for work and have gotten used to it for browsing the web and working with documents, etc. 2) I want a dedicated graphics card. I lean towards the NVIDIA 860m in some of the models I've been looking at. 3) Ideally I would want an SSD but I think that is what will put me over budget. I've not worked with one but I'm told it helps with load times, etc. The Y50 appears to have a hybrid SSHD, but I haven't read too much on it yet. Is it better than no SSD? (Significant/moderate/etc)

Final thoughts: I think based on my wants/needs/budget I am leaning towards the Lenovo Y50 Touch. A model with 12gb of RAM is available on NewEgg for $1199. I may be patient and see if they have a price drop at some point since at present it's at my budget amount and I'm not in a rush. What are people's thoughts based on everything I've mentioned above? Based on the games mentioned am I asking for too much hardware and should I scale down?

Solution
Final thoughts: I think based on my wants/needs/budget I am leaning towards the Lenovo Y50 Touch. A model with 12gb of RAM is available on NewEgg for $1199. I may be patient and see if they have a price drop at some point since at present it's at my budget amount and I'm not in a rush. What are people's thoughts based on everything I've mentioned above? Based on the games mentioned am I asking for too much hardware and should I scale down?

New egg had them for like $1200 today, choice of more ram or touch/non touch. I'd opt for non touch, they don't include ssd, but pick them up dirt cheap now adays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317542
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317541
Both...

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

New egg had them for like $1200 today, choice of more ram or touch/non touch. I'd opt for non touch, they don't include ssd, but pick them up dirt cheap now adays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317542
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317541
Both $1100 bucks, one touch one without. Has a 8gb ssd for cache, but for $100 you can pick up a 250gb and throw it in yourself, all for your $1200 mark!

For your price and 15" limit, that's going to be best bet. MSI has ghost but well above your price. Msi also has their gx series which fits price but the Lenovo is the better. Asus has their nj series, but specs on Lenovo are better and for the price as well.

Solution