Increase dedicated video memory on HP 2000 laptop

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
How do I increase the allotted amount of RAM for video on Intel HD 4000 integrated chipset? Many people that have this chipset in same computer model have 64mb listed, yet mine is 32mb, but it has "Shared" graphics with the regular RAM.

Before replies give me a headache:

1) Yes, I know it won't be as fast, because it's not actually integrated into the physical chipset. I don't care, so please don't say this. This is how the specific chipset on this model laptop is meant to work. All I really want to do is "force" a higher number to appear, so that games recognize that I have enough ram to play them.

2) I don't have the option in BIOS, but according to HP's website, I have highest available BIOS version. I'm aware that I -could- change the BIOS entirely, but I'm unsure how this would work with the given laptop, as it's a factory-specific setup.

3) I understand that many people will say it simply isn't possible. I know that, in many cases, this is true with graphics cards, but this specific laptop model (along with most other "Shared" types) is "economical" in terms of using cheaper RAM for video memory. That coupled with games that ONLY read dedicated memory, it must be possible somewhere to either change what this readout is, or simply fool games into believing there's more dedicated memory in order to utilize the chipset the way it's meant to be.

4) I've tried HP Support, but my warranty has run out, and I've no means of paying for support from HP.

Sorry if I come off as a bit rude, but I'm just trying to avoid becoming frustrated of hearing the same answers again and again, because chipsets that utilize RAM as graphical memory clearly have the means to use that memory already, so how on Earth would it be IMPOSSIBLE to tell a game the correct amount of RAM it can utilize?

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
your 1st question "How do I increase the allotted amount of RAM for video on Intel HD 4000 integrated chipset? " is in the 2nd reply. if you dont have that option then your stuck with only that much memory.

2nd question "so how on Earth would it be IMPOSSIBLE to tell a game the correct amount of RAM it can utilize?" because your BIOS won't allow it(that's why you dont have an option to increase the "Shared" memory in the BIOS). it has nothing to do with the game it has more to the with the configuration your laptop.

Camar0ss

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Okay, I understand that the BIOS won't allow it to happen, due to not having the option. But isn't there a way I could trick the system into thinking there's more dedicated memory? I don't want to increase the amount of shared memory, because I already have almost 2GB shared with the RAM. What I'm after is a sort of "hotfix" method of making games understand I have the ability to play them without having to make individual commandline texts for them, because figuring out how to do that for certain games is highly frustrating, and it doesn't always work in the fashion it's meant to.

Like in GTA IV, for example. I can play with everything entirely maxed out, with minimal lag, running 30 or so FPS. While I'm aware that isn't great, it's more than substantial to play the game on single player mode. However, with the commandline.txt file in GTA, even using "-nolimits" or "availablevidmem" , I can't get the game to see anything above ~270MB of graphics memory. This results in having to "fight" the game into high settings, by changing something and immediately saving it before it can bounce back to default (or lower setting that it suggests). It isn't much a big deal in GTA, given that I can change everything fairly easily, but some games simply refuse to see more than the 32MB that the card has by default, which causes the games to even refuse to install due to low graphical memory.