Insignia Roku TV losing signal over HDMI from computer

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Fairly common issue I have been having with the TV. It is the same as the models being discussed in this article:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/03/10/best-buy-insignia-4k-roku-tvs/

I use the TV as the "receiver" so to speak because I have yet to upgrade to an audio unit that will pass resolution I want. So, cable box, game console, and computer are connected directly to TV with the TV outputting sound only to the amp.

I have been having an issue over the last couple of months, 2 different computers, 3 different builds after I upgraded the 2nd one. I will be watching something via the computer and the sound will just drop out. Much less often it will all drop stating no signal. At times it's simple in that I can go to the home screen on TV and then select computer and it comes back. Sometimes it requires a restart of the TV and/or the computer.
At a more recurring frequency I have been having to go and "delete" the connection. It knows a device is plugged in, even though it says no signal. I have to unplug the HDMI, delete that connection. I plug it instantly back in to the same or even another port and it sees it, and creates a new connection. It will work fine for days, or minutes and repeat.

I do not have this issue with any other device hooked to the TV, only computers. The cable box or console don't have this issue. I have swapped cables. As mentioned above I have swapped connections, and even had various computers and builds plugged up. Even does this with the laptop.

We have had a recurring issue that came up with this TV shortly after we purchased where it would randomly restart for no reason. Just hang up, and restart. It didn't show itself to be worthy of return till too late. It does this aspect during any activity on the TV. The issue with sound dropping or no signal is only on (any) computer that I hook to the TV.

thoughts?

The combination of PC- HDMI cable - TV all have to meet HDMI specs to work together. When one isn't quite up to spec the combination may not work or work reliably.
Try a different HDMI cable. Just because the cable works with a different source doesn't mean it will work with the PC.
Try an different HDMI input on the TV. They should all be the same but sometimes aren't.
Try an HDMI booster on the cable it it's longer than 6 feet.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

I am supposing that my post was tl,dr or something?

Everything up to try a booster has already been mentioned above. Several different PC and a laptop, different cables, and every connection on the TV.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
OK, so didn't want to start another thread concerning this.

The TV is supposedly 4K, but it apparently won't actually "stay on" for 4K 60hz for anything but it's own apps.

I was of the impression that my issues were related to a video card that just couldn't handle the resolution. This all started some time back and I had been through a couple of cards where when forcing that resolution on the desktop would end up with 'noise' and strange patterns to pop up every now and again. I opted to get a 1080 for the TV so I could see what gaming at 4k was like, and it does the same thing. Almost seems like a bad card or something.

I turned the TV back to 4k 30 where it likes to default with this card, and does the same thing.
I went down to 1080 60 and haven't had the issue since.

I have read where some of the early and cheaper 4k tv were actually "multiple 1080" TV's, stacked as a unit. (I can't explain that better so I hope you know what I am talking about). It was described like those type of sets will commonly come up on your device manager as multiple screens, which mine doesn't.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

I know the TV is 2.0 and "backwards compatible".

My receiver won't do ARC because it isn't 2.0 and among the reasons I am using the configuration I am.

As to the video card(s) I have been using being that, I can't recall.
There has been a 750ti, two different 960's and now a 1080 on it. All of them will come to 'desktop' at 4K/60 resolution with the current driver. Each of them will cause the drop sound and/or lose connection on this set.

My cable box is 1080/60 and has no issue. When I set the computer to 1080/60 (as the primary signal in advanced), I have no issue. The PS3 that (was) on this system before RRoD at 1080/30 posed no issue.....