Instagram Terms of Service Controversy Prompts Class Action Suit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]But after they change it, the user then has to Agree to it. If Facebook lost users, perhaps that would teach them not to change their TOS to objectionable things. The problem is people think being on Facebook or Instagram is some right they have and that they can't live without being on these services.And the TOS that says they keep the rights if you cancel your account is the TOS already in place that was agreed to. If someone doesn't like it, perhaps they should have read it. Do you actually see where this is going? I think it's a good idea people READ FIRST rather than Agree and read later.[/citation]So you're basically saying it's fine for companies to set up any TOS they want without challenge? Simply not using the service isn't enough. Millions use these services, and The Cloud is being forced down our throats. What would you do if in 20 years, there is no local storage on your computers, everything is cloud based and all the TOS allows companies to do whatever they want with you stuff, and you have no say.

Are you going to abandon technology or remember those early times of the Internet when nobody spoke up and should have?

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Alot of people typing out books here, alot of information and opinions about it. I agree with the last anlogy above mine here, [citation][nom]beayn[/nom]So you're basically saying it's fine for companies to set up any TOS they want without challenge? Simply not using the service isn't enough. Millions use these services, and The Cloud is being forced down our throats. What would you do if in 20 years, there is no local storage on your computers, everything is cloud based and all the TOS allows companies to do whatever they want with you stuff, and you have no say.Are you going to abandon technology or remember those early times of the Internet when nobody spoke up and should have?[/citation]

That is the best way to rap it up. I for one agree the TOS shouldn't be changed after the fact so easily.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]If i Steal your car and return it to you after 3 days, is that ok?[/citation]

So someone said to you... "You can have this free cake but I claim ownership of your car.". However you didn't listen and blindly exclaimed "FREE CAKE!". So when they took your car you got outraged and they returned your car and simply offered another deal you probably didn't pay attention to yet blindly agreed to. Sounds ok to me.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
It's called the bait and switch. Sadly corporations have been getting away with this for a long time.

Sadly, sites like Facebook have become less about social networking, and more about social engineering. Facebook is a hackers wet dream. Its the only site where you can get someone's address, mother / fathers name, telephone number, favorite food, pets name, best friends name, high school / college names and mascots, first boyfriend/girlfriends name, places you like to hang out etc etc etc....

But hey, as long as I get a thumbs up for the picture of me drunk on the couch with marker on my forehead, it was all worth it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.