Install Froyo on an iPhone Without Your PC's Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]nutriment6464[/nom]iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 7 million triangles/secSamsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/secowned?[/citation]
Breaking News: A phone that was just released is faster than a phone released 18 months ago!. More at 11.

nutriment6464

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Breaking News: A phone that was just released is faster than a phone released 18 months ago!. More at 11.[/citation]

I know... But the guy still thinks the 18 months old hardware is still at the top, just saying bro.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nutriment6464[/nom]iPhone 3G S: 600 MHz Cortex-A8 with PowerVR SGX535 = 7 million triangles/secSamsung Galaxy S: S5PC110 with PowerVR SGX540 = 90 million triangles/secowned?[/citation]

Uhhh. Do realize the Samsung was released in June which was right around the same time the IPhone 4 was released right? You also realize that the 3Gs is over a year old when the IPhone 4 was released (June 2009) ...right? Also that it still outsells the Samsung Galaxy by orders of magnitude even being over 16 months old at the time of your comment.

Sorry bro, you are comparing apples to oranges here.

nutriment6464

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Uhhh. Do realize the Samsung was released in June which was right around the same time the IPhone 4 was released right? You also realize that the 3Gs is over a year old when the IPhone 4 was released (June 2009) ...right? Also that it still outsells the Samsung Galaxy by orders of magnitude even being over 16 months old at the time of your comment. Sorry bro, you are comparing apples to oranges here.[/citation]
Yeah I know, but the iphone 4 still packs an sgx535, and the fact that the the iphone outsell the galaxy s have nothing to do with the performance and specs, so what was your goal in pointing that out seriously duh?

Ex: Omg laptops are now selling twice as much as desktop pcs, they must be faster!

lol.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Saes[citation][nom]nutriment6464[/nom]Yeah I know, but the iphone 4 still packs an sgx535, and the fact that the the iphone outsell the galaxy s have nothing to do with the performance and specs, so what was your goal in pointing that out seriously duh? Ex: Omg laptops are now selling twice as much as desktop pcs, they must be faster!lol.[/citation]

Sales are no indication of performance but since you are making a PC like comparison on the graphics capabilities of a freaken Phone when there are few applications that take advantage of it never mind the fact that it is a Phone not a Console or a PC your ownage statements are little more than the usual anti iPhone BS that is about as pointless as your example.

So are you telling me you want a Tessellation based 3d address book? I know for sure you are not trying to pay FPS games on a damn touch screen or perhaps you got some turbo boosted version of Angry Birds to use the full SLI power of your Android phone. Give me a break.

nutriment6464

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]SaesSales are no indication of performance but since you are making a PC like comparison on the graphics capabilities of a freaken Phone when there are few applications that take advantage of it never mind the fact that it is a Phone not a Console or a PC your ownage statements are little more than the usual anti iPhone BS that is about as pointless as your example.So are you telling me you want a Tessellation based 3d address book? I know for sure you are not trying to pay FPS games on a damn touch screen or perhaps you got some turbo boosted version of Angry Birds to use the full SLI power of your Android phone. Give me a break.[/citation]

Try to stay focused on the subjet, I just said to someone with no knowledge true facts, he said the iphone is the best piece of phone hardware available, I told him he was wrong by saying the specs of others phones from wp7 or android... Who said I wanted to play crysis with dual gpu on my phone? The pc comparison was simply to make you understand that sales doesn't reflect the actual performance of electronics, geez. Man, just read my posts, where did I say my phone was a pc, or a pc alternative? Stop strying to create needs or problems, I just said the truth, get over it already man, who said I'm not using an iphone anyway? tssk.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Breaking News: A phone that was just released is faster than a phone released 18 months ago!. More at 11.[/citation]
Actually the Galaxy S is older than the iPhone 4. The first Galaxy S was launched on the 4th of June while the iPhone 4 was launched on the 24th of June. So the iPhone 4 is exactly 20 days younger than the Galaxy S.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Uhhh. Do realize the Samsung was released in June which was right around the same time the IPhone 4 was released right? You also realize that the 3Gs is over a year old when the IPhone 4 was released (June 2009) ...right? Also that it still outsells the Samsung Galaxy by orders of magnitude even being over 16 months old at the time of your comment. Sorry bro, you are comparing apples to oranges here.[/citation]
It doesn't matter because the Galaxy S still beats the iPhone 4 in terms of raw power. Both have the exact same CPU, but the iPhone 4 come with a weaker PowerVR SGX 535 while the Galaxy S comes with a PowerVR SGX 540.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Might want to try other Droid versions as latest 2.3, 2.2, 2.1 has issues with 800x*** / 854x*** res screens even in the SDK kit.

This might be causing the slow feel / non optimized feel.

2.0.2 / 2.0.1 Should run fine or there abouts.

Also noted some issues with larger / above 4gb memory cause some speed degradation and slower boot times never mid some stupid web browser issues not in earlier versions.

Not a expert just fooling around with the Droid SDK ad might prove useful for the iPhone / iDroid.
Still would not buy a iPhone not even use if given for free or payed to take one.

Status
Not open for further replies.