Installing an SSD in my Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wwagnerjr

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
Well received the SSD and went to install it. I couldn't find the brackets for sale anywhere, but after opening up the laptop, and doing a bit of research I believe by just adding a small piece of card board and using Velcro it will fit snug and not move around. However I've found another problem and I'm not sure how to get around this one. Although the Acer Aspire 7750G has a 2nd HDD bay the back cover of the laptop doesn't fit with a 2nd HDD or SSD. Everywhere I look it tells me that there's a 2nd laptop back cover, PART #60.RB002.007. you need that has room for the 2nd HDD. Problem is I can't find it anywhere in the United States. I do see they have it internationally, but I'm not sure if they ship to the USA and I'm worried about giving my money to an international company. Anyone have any advice?

I've heard you can use a dremmel to shave some of the plastic down to fit the original back cover, but even if I could find a dremmel I'm not sure I feel comfortable using it in case I end up ruining the cover and then I'll have no back cover. I'm to the point where I'm starting to think I should have waited until I had the money for a 250gb SSD and then just replaced my original HDD. At least then my original laptop back would have fit. Oh well does anyone know where I can find that laptop back in the United States? or have any other ideas to help me?

wwagnerjr

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately Acer ended up screwing me because they force you to buy a new back cover,part #60.RB002.007, which is nearly impossible to find in the states and the ones I can find cost between $75 and $100 with shipping. Financially it doesn't make sense to spend about a 1/5th of what I paid for my laptop on a new back cover. Instead what I've decided to do is send back the 120gb Samsung SSD and get a refund of the $91 minus about $14 for return shipping and restocking to Amazon. I can then put the remaining $77 and the $100 I would have needed to use on a new back cover on a new Samsung 240gb SSD KIT This way all the brackets come with it and because it has enough storagespace I'll just replace the HDD I have now in the 1st HDD bay and will have no need to buy a new back cover. It makes a lot more sense to just do it that way. Here's the SSD kit I'll be buying. Hopefully that will be an end to my problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250LW/dp/B00E3W19CE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397853834&sr=8-6&keywords=Samsung+Electronics+840+EVO-Series

Do you know wilI I need to call microsoft after I move the OS over to the new SSD because of the licensing. I read some where I might have to do that. I run MS 7, but I don't think I got the software on DVD.It just came preloaded on my laptop.