Solved! intel to nvidia

Jul 5, 2020
hi I'm new here can anyone help me with changing my graphics from intel to nvidia as default? On dell xps i7 9560
Thanks

Solution
In device manager 2 showing intel and below Nvidia gtx 1050 but I can only see intel as default and don't know how to change over i done what is in wolfs message , I don't have games but would like to use graphics card dot video editing?

OK so the video card is seen in the system, what do you see if you go into the nVidia driver options? You should see options to switch it to be the main card or set it manually to be active when running specific programs. Do you only see the Intel card there? Have you updated drivers from nVidia directly by any chance? If you have, you would want to wipe the nVidia drivers off the system with DDU then download the Intel and nVidia drivers directly from Dell support site. Using drivers...
Hi ive done that but not sure if its working ? and when i open ccleaner at top it says its still on intel?

Not sure what you are checking in ccleaner, not a very good program to use, tends to create new issues.

Does the nVidia options show you the nVidia card is the default? If you run a benchmark and then check something like HWMonitor does the nVidia card usage get higher? Do games run at the speeds they should?

If you installed the video drivers from nVidia not Dell support site that can break dual graphics support.

Jul 5, 2020
In device manager 2 showing intel and below Nvidia gtx 1050 but I can only see intel as default and don't know how to change over i done what is in wolfs message , I don't have games but would like to use graphics card dot video editing?

OK so the video card is seen in the system, what do you see if you go into the nVidia driver options? You should see options to switch it to be the main card or set it manually to be active when running specific programs. Do you only see the Intel card there? Have you updated drivers from nVidia directly by any chance? If you have, you would want to wipe the nVidia drivers off the system with DDU then download the Intel and nVidia drivers directly from Dell support site. Using drivers outside of the laptop vendor ones tends to cause issues with dual video cards.

Solution
Jul 5, 2020
OK so the video card is seen in the system, what do you see if you go into the nVidia driver options? You should see options to switch it to be the main card or set it manually to be active when running specific programs. Do you only see the Intel card there? Have you updated drivers from nVidia directly by any chance? If you have, you would want to wipe the nVidia drivers off the system with DDU then download the Intel and nVidia drivers directly from Dell support site. Using drivers outside of the laptop vendor ones tends to cause issues with dual video cards.
Thank you very much for your time and effort in this and sorry for not replying sooner, I actually posted a message in Dell and this was the response below I have now got this sorted out hope this helps others and thank you again.

Posted in Dell response below:

In most cases, you shouldn't have to change any settings. Just leave the driver settings at their defaults and use your system rather than looking for something to change. If an application isn't using the NVIDIA GPU when it should, that should be very obvious based on significantly reduced performance, such as very low frame rates in games. If you're NOT using a full screen application, then you can go to Task Manager and check the Performance tab (click "More details" in the lower-left corner if you don't see that tab), and then in the left column near the bottom you should see separate items for your Intel and NVIDIA GPUs. However, when this feature was first introduced into Windows, I remember that sometimes the NVIDIA GPU would always show as inactive even when it was obviously being used. I haven't checked whether that has improved since then. But like I said, if the NVIDIA GPU isn't active when you expect it to be, then you should notice that as very poor performance.

If you've already run Dell SupportAssist and it doesn't show any available updates, then you have the latest Intel drivers. If you want to check manually, go to support.dell.com, search your system model or Service Tag, and go to the Downloads section, then find the Intel Graphics driver.

Yes I'm sure you can't have the NVIDIA GPU active all the time. The reason the "Auto" setting exists is to allow the drivers to determine which GPU should be used when a specific application is in use. If you want to force the NVIDIA GPU to be active for a specific application, you can edit that application's profile in NVIDIA Control Panel to specify that. Or if you want to PREVENT the NVIDIA GPU from running, you can do that as well. But even if you set the Global setting to "Always use NVIDIA", that will still only apply to the applications that NVIDIA Control Panel is aware of. It won't just keep it running all the time.

But again, I would really encourage you to just use your system. In the vast majority of cases, you do not need to tinker with any settings to make your system work properly, which means that messing with settings can make things WORSE, especially if you start experimenting without understanding how this all works.