Intermittent crash and boot disk not recognised

raenur

Estimable
Sep 18, 2015
I've had this issue for a while and foolishly didn't take the laptop back for a check during its warranty period. I think this is because it is only moderately annoying and doesn't occur that much.

Usually when I leave the computer on for some hours I get blue screen crashing, often with some memory related error code. On some occasions the computer tries to restart and can't find the boot device - you get the message from the BIOS that occurs before you've installed an OS.

In order to eliminate some variables I've run memory tests, including Memtest86 to find errors but coming up with nothing.

I've checked the HD's SMART data and the drive seems to be in perfect health.

I'll have a go booting with some alternative RAM modules, but I'm left with there being a potential motherboard fault. Is it possible that even a memory test wouldn't guarantee fault-free RAM?

I suppose it could be the connector for the HD as well.

I could do with some more suggestions, but it's a very strange problem to diagnose.

I've not posted a ton of system info as I'm not sure what's most relevant!

Hi,

One way of testing the RAM is if you have 2 of them in the laptop test them 1 at a time, meaning just use 1 RAM after the other and see if the laptop would still give you a blue screen error message. Next is to test the both RAM slots as well and see if you can replicate the error or problem by doing those test. Lastly is to perform a Factory Reset to eliminate the fact that it could be a software issue as well. Some Hardware Diagnostic test doesn't give you accurate results you'll always have to test it yourself to prove your theory.