Question Intermittent Electrical Buzzing from Speakers w/Denon AVR-S910W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oopey

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
Hi All,

I have a 5.1.2 setup, with Micca speakers (including in-ceiling and wall for the surround and Atmos), bookshelf for L/R, and the Micca center speaker for the center. My receiver is a Denon AVR-S910W.

I intermittently get what sounds like a loud ZAPping sound from what sounds to be all the speakers (although VERY hard to pinpoint for some reason - whichever speaker I happen to be near sounds to be the one with the ZAP). So, I tried switching the speakers around to see if the problem was the speaker themselves. No luck, same problem. I also tried connecting my receiver so that various outputs were going to different speakers. Again, no luck - it didn't matter which channel output was feeding the different speakers, I still had the ZAPping sound. So, I don't think the problem is with the speakers (but please let me know if any disagreement?).

The ZAPping sound is independent of whatever I have the volume set at, and the ZAPping sound is always at its own same volume. If there was a problem from somewhere inside the system, I would think it would be a constant problem. However, its not constant - we can sometimes go a couple days without it happening, sometimes it happens several times in an hour; sometimes its several times over a few minutes. Also, its not a humming/low-level buzzing, and it doesn't sound like static. It sounds mostly like the old-style bug zappers that worked at night - every so often you'd get a ZAP sound. This sound is like that, albeit louder and a bit "rougher" or "harsher" (only words I can think of to describe it).

Also, we just started using the system a few months ago, and its been happening the whole time. I've had the receiver for ~3 years and never had this issue before, but we just did some major home renovations, and the electrician ran the wiring for the speakers using 16/2 Stranded CU In-Wall CMR/CL3R speaker wire - the distance between each speaker and receiver is less than 40 feet total, including running across ceiling, down the wall, etc.

I've tried removing other components that might cause interference (i.e., FIOS router, HEOS Link), and I've tried plugging everything into the same outlet. Nothing is helping. I'm wondering if something in the receiver is fried maybe? I don't have another receiver to use to test, to see if its the receiver that's the problem.

Also, it doesn't matter if the sound is being input from the TV itself (i.e., from a streaming app, using ARC), from the fios set top box, from our Heos link, from a Nintendo Switch, from an Xbox 360 There have also been times when the receiver is on, with nothing being input to the receiver, and the ZAPping sound still happens.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem might be? Any help would be very greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Oopey

Honorable
Feb 19, 2015
It could be an RF problem which is almost impossible to prevent.
If there is an internal problem with the receiver then the ZAP would happen with nothing connected to the receiver but the speakers. You could try that.

I'll try disconnecting everything from the receiver and see if I still get the sound.

However, your note about RF made me think of something. We have the receiver (and tv, etc.) in the corner of the room. On the other side of the wall its on is the garage. And right on that wall (basically almost back-to-back with the receiver and with the in-wall speaker wiring) is a refrigerator/freezer, a deep freezer, and our in-ground sprinkler control unit (i.e., where I set the different schedules). I currently have all three plugged into a surge protector, which is then plugged into the wall. Any chance one of these puts out an RF signal that could mess with my theater system? Figure the total distance between the fridge and the receiver is no more than 5 feet, and less than 5 feet to the in-wall wiring.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.