Internet Addiction May Become Official "Disorder"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
?

i go on the internet to find news and to play games but i read books and watch tv/video's more (although im usually online for about 8hours aday but i play my flute while logged in heck i just put it doen to read this article and am about to play again)

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
what a joke that is... im on the internet at work and i play mmo's usually around 30+ hours a week im gaming, but guess what i go out have drinks go to football games during the season go to conventions and lan parties. its a new way of life not an problem. i have dyslexia and without my computer i couldnt read very well. so these guys can just think what they want the overpriced psyc docs

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Well, since it has been going on globally for 15 years or more on a massive scale, I'd say that qualifies as a "pre-existing condition", sorry you're not covered.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
MY router went nuts the other day and I was like "OK... I guess I'll do something else for a while." My wife was like "Fix this. I want to get on my forums."

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Whoo now I need to figure out how to get on disability for my internet addiction. Make the goverment buy me a new high end computer to stop my suffering.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]MY router went nuts the other day and I was like "OK... I guess I'll do something else for a while." My wife was like "Fix this. I want to get on my forums."[/citation]

^That's a good one. Sounds like someone I know.

Heck, I don't know what else to do while being unemployed. Cheapest entertainment ever, that works 24/7! Just about every you can get WIFI now.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
"many professionals are disturbed by the "label," fearing that it won't address the true nature of the addiction."

I have to agree. No telling what the real problem might be.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
they`ve put the title wrong it should be MMORPG Addiction , since our current modern society is Internet and PC addicted, economy and most of the shit in our life wouldn`t function without internet connections, we get news on net, chat etc etc , total different than MMORPG addiction.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If they label this a disorder, my employer no longer has grounds to fire me for browsing the internet all day instead of working. I'm addicted, and its an officially recognized disorder, so there.

[citation][nom]ethanolson[/nom]MY router went nuts the other day and I was like "OK... I guess I'll do something else for a while." My wife was like "Fix this. I want to get on my forums."[/citation]
Apparently I unplugged my router from my modem (just ever so slightly), took me a couple days to figure out the problem. If my fiancee didn't have her Blackberry, I'm sure I would have gotten the third degree from her too.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
""the APA is actually considering to make internet addiction a permanent diagnosis in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. ""

The Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders will be posted next month ONLINE! :)

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Anything is a disorder these days... All to benefit those who treat such "disorders". Anyone hear of restless leg syndrome, another crock.

G

I read tomshardware on the internet.
If that's an addiction, then reading newspapers, and watching the news is also an addiction!

And if they are, then perhaps we should get rid of our computers, newspapers, and televisions, and live back in a cave...
But then we might get addicted to watching the sunshine, or eating grains and corn...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I suppose one could say I am addicted to using the net... I play most of my games on a computer (wow being online) I read all my news online. Most of my social interactions for a given day are email related. sometimes I even order pizza online lol (Its nice to click on what you want then you know some kid didn't misunderstand you when you said extra cheese. My wife could care less if the net blew up but would die if you took away TV, I am the reverse lol

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
It's also when a friend blows of not one, but two other friends because wrath of the lich king came out. I refuse to play any kind of MMO, and the other guy even plays it but it wasn't that important to him.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Oh, one other thing. When who they're helping has some kind of insurance paying for the visits or whatever they have to pick something from the list in that book usually to list it with the insurance company. So sometimes they pick something in the book that just is closest...

Status
Not open for further replies.