Internet Flaming May Become Illegal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stlunatic

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Oh no, what will the MS fanboys do when OSX news comes up??![/citation]

They will say "OSX sux" and "Windows 2000 pwns" and then "omfg wtf bbq" and then install linux.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Another complete waste of time and taxpayer money.

Does anyone else see the danger here? Who "decides" what is and is not flaming?

Just another way to limit free speech, IMO. The "clear and present danger" argument is the last argument the government should have had regarding the limiting of speech. Not to mention this law would waste our money on unecessary court fees and waste the judicial system's time and money on frivilous lawsuits.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]stlunatic[/nom]They will say "OSX sux" and "Windows 2000 pwns" and then "omfg wtf bbq" and then install linux.[/citation]

I don't think i have heard that before...

I definitely didn't think the majority of people cracking on OSX were still using Windows 2000. I guess you are trying to say that OSX is better than Win2000?

Your posts don't make a lot of sense you know...

stlunatic

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]I don't think i have heard that before...I definitely didn't think the majority of people cracking on OSX were still using Windows 2000. I guess you are trying to say that OSX is better than Win2000?Your posts don't make a lot of sense you know...[/citation]

I'm not saying which one is best, because only god knows that answer... I was only giving my thoughts on what on the question norbs posted.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I see.

I guess it doesn't make sense to me that you think the people that give negative comments about OSX are still using the ancient Windows 2000. I would venture to say that most are on an XP/Vista/Win7 platform by now. This is the year 2009...

stlunatic

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Well I was implying that fanboys who flame companies just because they are biased are dumbasses...

Re-read my post now and it will make sense :)

stlunatic

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
PS: for the Mac lovers:http://www.abload.de/img/1-8995d3e [...] 94fn0q.jpg[/citation]

I imagine some people (not only women) would choose mac.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I would agree that a person using Win2000 bashing OSX must be biased, not to mention outdated.

But i would have to strongly disagree in saying this is the majority of "MS fanboys". Given what i have seen on this forum site, the people cracking on OSX are mostly on par with XP/Vista/Win7, meaning that they see benefits in their OS not found in OSX. Yes there can still be plenty of biaseness, but a person would have to be an ignorant fool to think that train doesn't run both ways (Apple and Microsoft).

So all in all, i guess i still don't understand why you chose Win2000 in your example. The point you were trying to make is true, but it is simply non-existent in the year 2009.

stlunatic

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Well I chose win2000 because it wasnt a success and was quickly replaced by XP. Thefore portraying fanboys as people who dont know what they are talking about and just like a company or software for stupid reasons, even though the software can be bad and maybe even outdated...

Hehe, made myself clear now? xD

G

I think we could all get behind an anti-smurfing law though right? :) This is the actual cause of the girls suicide.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
This should only be a felony if you flame someone hard enuf to actually set them on fire...

And then Id be conflicted between sending them to jail or giving them a medal.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]stlunatic[/nom]Well I chose win2000 because it wasnt a success and was quickly replaced by XP. Thefore portraying fanboys as people who dont know what they are talking about and just like a company or software for stupid reasons, even though the software can be bad and maybe even outdated...Hehe, made myself clear now? xD[/citation]

Yeah you have made it clear that you think people using Win2000 and bashing OSX are most likely biased. I understand completely that some people like a company for stupid reasons (eg. the pretty white case, the video editing they don't use, the hefty price tag that they can show off) even though the software can be bad and outdated.

I'm telling you that a Win2000 and OSX comparison has no relevance to anything today. I'm telling you that essentially there is no one out there with Win2000 bashing OSX. Not to mention i see you have failed to associate any biaseness with the mac fanboys out there.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's not flaming that's the problem and that wasn't the reason that girl killed herself. She killed herself because the woman POSED as someone else. So it seems to me if that want to stop that sort of thing, they should make lying about yourself on social networking sites illegal, although then there are all of the weirdos on them who like to "roleplay."

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]ACID TEST TIME!First test:Is it a felony to say these flames in real life to a person? Also, is it a felony to bully someone? If you answer yes, then this is a reasonable law.Second test:Do laws already exist that cover these acts? If no, then this is a needed law.My understanding is we already have a set of laws that cover making threats against another person, both verbally and written, and so this law is redundant. Additionally, it sounds like they wish to make the law much more stern than existing laws, and thus it is unreasonable.[/citation]

Exactly so.

This is just another absurd waste of people's time and money.

G

I'm sure they will investigate the world, including finding the persons living in small African or asian villages making use of the internet via a internet shop. Yes, I'm sure they'll find the criminal just like they find the one who puts all those Jihad video's on youtube.
Those guys are laughing their asses off, because they live in the holes in mountains, and don't even have electricity!
So I'm sure all that expensive radar, satelite and computer equipment will be made to a good purpose; oh, and, don't forget that we'll probably need to raise taxes for it too!

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
If a kid is suicidal...maybe their parents should take better care of them and spend more time with them. So that they don't flip out after reading something online, or having a bad conversation in high school, etc. etc.

Better still, how about having good conversations with their own kids so that they "hopefully" don't get that unstable to begin with or clearly have someone reliable to talk to about things?

Nah...lets just make mean spirited words online a felony.

A FELONY?!?!

W
T
F

So what happens if two teenagers are jerks to each other? Do they both get felonies so that they can practically never get jobs once they are out of high school?

"It will not infringe on free speech!"

Yeah...sure...because CLEARLY no one abuses the law left and right to sue and otherwise dick over people to the nth degree if they are unhappy.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
FANBOYS give me somethings that i don't know. MS fanboys let me know what so special about your platform, and mac fanboys let me know what so special about your platform. please educate reader with your posting not just talk trash. THANK YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.