Internet Problem

overbet

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I am not sure what category to post this problem in so I apologize in advance if this is not the correct area and thank you for moving it.

Here is my problem. This is a Dell XPS studio desktop I am having trouble with running windows 7. Certain websites do not work and some do just on this computer. I have 4 others on this network and they all work fine. Some sites that arent working are Netflix, Dell, Marketwatch. Some examples of site that are working fine. Tomshardware, yahoo, google. I have tried multiple browsers including firfox, IE and Chrome and the results are the same regardless of the browser i try. This is the error message I get when trying to connect to one of these sites:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.marketwatch.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Also note that I tried to visit these troubled sites using PROXIFY and they loaded fine when using proxy server. Does anybody have any idea? I reloaded network driver, rolled back windows to 2 months ago although I am not certain when it started and tried reinstalling the browsers. Thanks

Solution
Next step is to check for viruses. A few things to check first is such as the host file. Its locatd at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open it with Notepad. there should be nothing listed after th example. If there is, delete it and save.

Then downloda and install CCleaner. Run it to kill out anything in the temp files. Then download and install Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware and Microsoft Security Essentials. Run them all after installing and updating.

Hopefully if there is anything blocking your internet then it will get them.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Next step is to check for viruses. A few things to check first is such as the host file. Its locatd at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open it with Notepad. there should be nothing listed after th example. If there is, delete it and save.

Then downloda and install CCleaner. Run it to kill out anything in the temp files. Then download and install Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware and Microsoft Security Essentials. Run them all after installing and updating.

Hopefully if there is anything blocking your internet then it will get them.

Solution

overbet

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost