iOS 6 Adoption Surges After Google Maps App Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Hopefully Apple takes notice and won't push crappy products onto their customers again.Not holding my breath, but I can only hope.

From, The guy who likes his Android phone, Chromebook, and Chrome browser.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
y - I switched to Google Maps the moment I was aware it was available - much better than Apple maps and I don't really care about 3D images thank you

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Meant to add - I upgraded to iOS6 on a previous iPhone 4 and regretted it - I moved companies, got a new 4S but delayed upgrading to iOS6 until Google Maps came out.

lewist

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I think this makes you realize that the success of one company even though they are the competition can be beneficial in more ways than you can imagine. Apple must surely realize that they wouldn't have a competitive edge against Google maps, considering how many resources Google have poured into their maps tech. Perhaps in their arrogance they have learned that age old saying "don't cut off your nose despite your face, and now have to eat some humble pie, how sweet that pie must look from Google's side of the table.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I really do not think Apple will learn anything from this. As far as Apple is concerned the only app's that should be loaded on any of there products should come from Apple. Or at least that is the way it seems to me.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]bryonhowley[/nom]I really do not think Apple will learn anything from this. As far as Apple is concerned the only app's that should be loaded on any of there products should come from Apple. Or at least that is the way it seems to me.[/citation]
Yeah, that's why they allowed Google Maps (and other competing map Apps) into the App Store. /S

G

I think you have to look at the end game here. Google was NEVER going to give iOS users turn-by-turn navigation in the map app they were supplying Apple. Apple asked for it with every new version of iOS and Google dragged their feet. I believe Apple knew what they were doing and by putting out Apple Maps and dropping Google's... it forced Google to finally add turn-by-turn navigation in a map app. If iOS6 came out and there was no turn-by-turn navigation all iOS users would be upset about that... again. This is business... now that Google has a threat to their map app... albeit not a great one today... they will have to continue to work that software to keep their user base. In time, Apple maps may be on par with Google Maps... and if it never is... Apple Maps forces Google to do the right thing for iOS users.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]bryonhowley[/nom]I really do not think Apple will learn anything from this. As far as Apple is concerned the only app's that should be loaded on any of there products should come from Apple. Or at least that is the way it seems to me.[/citation]
That doesn't make any sense at all.. what are you on about? Apple didn't create most of the Apps in the App Store... If by "should come from Apple", you meant should be in the App Store, Google Maps is in the App Store.. Apple makes so much money from all the Apps in the App Store! They couldn't be happier if people tried to fit as many of those apps into each of their devices.. really.. What Are You On About?

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
and let me correct myself before anyone else does..
I am aware that Google Maps is free.. But many Apps are not free, and I meant Apple makes money from all those paid for Apps of course..

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ Apple also makes money from free Apps in that the entire eco-system is responsible for a significant number of people choosing an iPhone or iPad over the competition. So it's not direct money from App sales, but it's indirect money from getting more customers to use their products.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]lewist[/nom]I think this makes you realize that the success of one company even though they are the competition can be beneficial in more ways than you can imagine. Apple must surely realize that they wouldn't have a competitive edge against Google maps, considering how many resources Google have poured into their maps tech. Perhaps in their arrogance they have learned that age old saying "don't cut off your nose despite your face, and now have to eat some humble pie, how sweet that pie must look from Google's side of the table.[/citation] "To spite", not 'despite', haha.

It wasn't about competitive edge (well, not only) - Apple wanted to add turn-by-turn navigation, which Google would not allow, presumably as it was a selling point for their Android ecosystem. Apple are still contracted and could still use Google's services as before if they wished, they're just choosing not to. Soon the contract will expire, though.

Now that Apple put turn-by-turn in a default app, Google's added turn-by-turn in their new Google Maps for iPhone to remain competitive (there was little business reason to exclude iOS from turn-by-turn now that it was no longer a feature-win for Android). Presumably they get all the data they get from Android handsets using turn-by-turn (when navigating, Android handsets report data to Google which can be used to ascertain live traffic conditions, travelling distances, times and destinations, and more) from this new pool of several+ million users, so Google win too, really, and this will further improve the accuracy of their own mapping service.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]CL1967[/nom]I think you have to look at the end game here. Google was NEVER going to give iOS users turn-by-turn navigation in the map app they were supplying Apple. Apple asked for it with every new version of iOS and Google dragged their feet. I believe Apple knew what they were doing and by putting out Apple Maps and dropping Google's... it forced Google to finally add turn-by-turn navigation in a map app. If iOS6 came out and there was no turn-by-turn navigation all iOS users would be upset about that... again. This is business... now that Google has a threat to their map app... albeit not a great one today... they will have to continue to work that software to keep their user base. In time, Apple maps may be on par with Google Maps... and if it never is... Apple Maps forces Google to do the right thing for iOS users.[/citation]

Hmm...never though of it that way...so in order to get a major feature of an app provided by the company that is currently gobbling up Apple's marketshare added to the iPhone, Apple (a company that has built it's reputation on perfection) purposely released a very poorly built app that caused a media firestorm resulting in large-scale embarrassment, flocking of iPhone users to other platforms, and in a few isolated cases, even death.

Genius.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]Hopefully Apple takes notice and won't push crappy products onto their customers again.Not holding my breath, but I can only hope.From, The guy who likes his Android phone, Chromebook, and Chrome browser.[/citation]

Products? Its a single App...lol. And yes as an Apple fan I too hope Apple learned its lesson and has at least made heads roll.

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]"To spite", not 'despite', haha.It wasn't about competitive edge (well, not only) - Apple wanted to add turn-by-turn navigation, which Google would not allow, presumably as it was a selling point for their Android ecosystem....[/citation]

Except this isn't correct.

Apple used the Google Maps API to make the iPhones Google Maps version. To repeat, the "Google Maps" app of iOS5 and before was made by APPLE. Not Google.

And the Google Maps API does not include many of the advanced options of Google Maps, including turn-by-turn navigation. This is a general restriction of the Google Maps API and not at all limited to Apple. Only apps made by Google themselves can use everything.

The change of the native iOS map service in iOS6 didn't "force" Google to allow turn-by-turn, it enabled them to do it in the first place by enabling them to finally make their own Google Maps version for iOS. Before they couldn't make their own app, because it would have competed with Apples Google Maps version - which is something the App Store Terms of Use do not allow. No competing apps to native iOS Versions....

Srieya Devi

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Finally Google Maps are released for iOS 6 for more information

http://www.trendsor.blogspot.in/2012/12/finally-google-maps-are-released-for.html

We all know that there are no Google maps on iOS 6, the latest software update released by Apple for its iPhones because of the rivalry between Google and Apple. However, iOS 6 has some other maps but they failed totally in satisfying the customers. Hence, Apple finally decided to re-introduce Google Maps in iOS 6. Actually, the maps were... -

Status
Not open for further replies.