iOS, Android Game Sales Surpass DS, PSP Combined

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'll keep buying Nintendo and Playstation Portable systems until they give me a highend android phone that has dual joysticks and shoulder buttons (read, not the Xperia play since it is not high end and can't hold up on the GPU end)

My wife can play angry birds and cut the rope all day long on her iPhone. Still doesn't make it a true gaming system yet. Just a casual game hangout for people like my wife.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
While gaming on a phone is a good way to reach out to the millions of smartphone users without dedicated hardware, it just isn't the same as using a standalone system. Touchscreen controls are good for some things but they can't be the jack of all trades, and that same limitation applies here.

Add to this issues with battery life in smartphones and a mobile gaming system looks attractive still.

G

I think the easiest thing for Nintendo and Sony to do would be to open there Portables up to the same third party apps the IOS and Android apps enjoy. I mean if I can get Windows live Messenger on an Ipod Touch or get a $0.99 game then on a phone then why can't Nintendo do it too. It sure would make there portable systems that much more appealing if they broadened the market for what they are capable of. I mean then Nintendo fans wouldn't have to complain that there is a lack of games or apps or whatever. That way they could still enjoy buying cheap dinky games and still get there high quality games too.

G

You can portray figures how you like but I don't think that these 3rd rate "games" have "crushed" but instead FILLED an EMPTY gap between console lifespan aswell as find new customers who like the convenience.

The 3DS is not doomed as the media want you to believe, it just has not taken off yet. With the release of Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 plus Christmas we should see the % start to reverse and furthermore when PS Vita hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.