iOS Bug Allows Malware to Be Sold in Apple App Store

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Manicslayer[/nom]The last paragraph sums up the article perfectly. Apple, this guy is a respected hacker and security consultant and you go and kick him out of your iOS group? Really? He told them about it, they said, "Nah bro, we got it." He told them again, "Dude we're cool, we told you." Then he showed them, "Hey man, fuck you! You're not in our club anymore!" No one was, in any way, in danger from his download. All it did was ping his private server and show Apple that, "Hey, if I wanted I could totally fuck peoples shit up right now." Making it public forced Apple to act, rather than wait for someone else to figure it out and steal personal information through their downloaded spyware. Yes iOS is more secure than Android, just like OSX is more secure than Windows. Thankfully, I am not technologically challenged and I don't need the extra security. I'm more about freedom and ingenuity. It's a no brainer why most Tom's readers aren't Apple fans; We do not need the idiot proofing/limiting that Apple sets up in its products as it only limits your options in the long run.[/citation]

Leaving you OWN device security ABSOLUTELY in the hands of one of the best hackers in the world, is not my idea of not being in danger. And that assumes his computer is absolutely secure too - meaning he would have to live in a maximum security prison. His house could easily be broken into and any kinds of mayhem could happen.

He doesn't have any right to demand Apple fix any problem in any set period of time.

OSX isn't more secure than Windows. Windows is more secure, but faces more threats. iOS, on the other hand, IS far more secure than Android. Android is very much more insecure then Windows and it's extremely naive to think that technical knowledge means you don't need extra security. Extra technical knowledge should make you realise that no amount of security is good enough. As for freedom, ingenuity, please. I've said it before, I'll say it again - Android is NOT open, it's source code was never released. And even it it WAS open, please give me one legal and beneficial thing I can do on Android than I can't on an iPhone on iOS. Idiot proofing is exactly what every successful major website has done, the art of building good software is hiding the complexity behind a simple appearance. Google is the perfect example of this. What you describe so naively as 'idiot proofing' is simply excellent design, a design Android very much copied.

I don't think most Tom's readers aren't Apple fans. Android users tend to be younger, less well off, and less educated, so are probably far more vocal in these comments sections, wheras your more successful accomplished individual just laughs at people who hate a company for making their products easy to use, and enjoy the thousands of hours of their life they gain by not having to root their phone repeatedly to make it do what they want. Of course there are exceptions, such as me who as a logical exercise like to educate such children when they make silly claims without really understanding what they mean. Essentially people like you, who start out when purchasing something like a phone to find the best from a technical side, mistaking ghz and bigger screen for actual performance and usability, mistaking never-fulfilled promises of 'open' software for somehow meaning you can do anything more with it, failing to take into account why millions of people make the iPhone the phone with the best customer satisfaction rating ever. You probably write these millions of people off as sheep, in your head, but that is your failing. Geeks such as yourself pride themselves on their technology, computers, mhz, graphics cards, monitors, and the phone is just an extension of that to you - something to distinguish yourself with. How can you distinguish yourself if the vast majority realise that the best is the best? Answer: Get something which is different, pretends to be open, is less secure, takes hours more of your time in achieving nothing, whilst performing slower, not having embedded icloud or Siri or the ability to stream wirelessly to your tv, with worse battery life and missing basic apps such as Sky Sports. Why compromise on all that? For people on a budget, it's financial, but for geeks, it's because they need to try and argue that the Android phone is everything that all the 'normal' people couldn't see, but you with your special 'geek' knowledge knew was better.

Guess what, in the real world, educated geeks know what actually matters in a device, and that leads them to the iphone, right now. When Android manufacturers come up with a device which isn't essentially a worse implementation of the market leading device, Android will appeal to everyone. What will you do then? Find another niche product and defend that to the hilt. It's pathetic.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
watcha:

I'll agree the iPhone is a great phone that 'just works'. Ton's of people have them, if i had a bunch of Apple products in my house id love it to. But for me, i would jailbreak either one of those, so id rather go with Android (viruses are half the fun!).

I do think however that iPhone will quickly be surpassed in terms of performance, if it hasn't been already.Only 512 mb of memory, as far as computers go im sure most everyone has a good idea of the performance hit you will take with less memory.

But then again, im never going to game on an iPhone anyways so doesnt matter. Not afraid to say I dont like Apple just because it seems like the route people less tech-savvy take. I'm sure plenty of tech-savvy people use Apple products.. just none that i have met.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Again, very good point Beayn. It's great that you're taking my advice and focusing on the discussion at hand and presenting arguments which prove the things I've said wrong.You're not the very definition of a troll in this scenario, or anything.Ironic, huh?[/citation]
As stated in the other thread, there is no discussion at hand with you. No matter what anyone says in your eyes, they are wrong. Nobody is allowed to say another product is superior to Apple products. You can't tell a religious fanatic that God does not exist. He will argue with nonsensical BS and make anything up that he can to defend his position, just as you do. When PROVEN wrong (as done in every conversation we've ever had) you lash out with insults like a typical child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS