Question ip camera setup question

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
has anyone here tried to set up a ip wifi type camera to a nvr recorder that is connected to your own network thru a network switch? i asked this on another forum and got 1 person to give some ideas but none of those worked . but i do not think that person is understanding what i'm asking.

i got a nvr from ebay for a few buck new jst to test it for connection. i asked the seller a hundred questions about connecting it and they said it would but i can't get it connected.

i have onvif p2p and some other formats and not one connects to it . the nvr does see my network and it actually connects to a dvr i have on the table i use to test bullet cameras.

he said to try manual i did also tried automatic but all it connects to is that dvr. i have another dvr that has 8 cameras on it and i can see those camera on both dvr. thru 2 phone apps the tinycam and the ipcam apps plus the ip cams that are the ptz type you see for baby watching inside the house.

i have 5 of them connected to tinycam and the ipcam app on my phone plus the dvr cameras and i see them perfect. i want to connect the ip ptz cams to a nvr becasue some other forums said those cams are digital and will not be seen by a dvr. but the nvr will both kinds of cameras.

this nvr will not connect directly to my cameras it connects to the network along with all my cameras and then the program on this nvr is suppose to connect to them automatically.

so maybe someone here has done this and lend a hand in what i may be doing wrong.

this is what i have now and it works
a zmodo dvr with 8 outside cameras that i see on tinycam

5 ip type cams that were wifi but i reconfigured them for lan and they are now all hard wired into a netgear network switch and i see them on tinycam and ip cam apps on a phone and table plus i can see them on my pc when i type in their ip address and port numbers. i have assigned all those cameras different port number that are not the normal 80 20 21 oe 554

a no name dvr that is the same h.264 format as the zmodo and has the same connections on hte back of it which what they tell me a re analog dvr's

now i can see all this on my apps and the ip cams on my pc. all the ports are forwarded as well so i can see them all away from home.

so i get this nvr and some other forums told me this is what i had to get so i could see the ip cams not necessarily the cams on the dvr's but it picks up the test dvr with 3 cams on it and nothing else.

it has the same configuration as the test dvr has so i set it up the same way only changing the ip address and port numbers so i could see them on my router, and i do see them on my router.

if i let it run in auto mode it finds the test dvr, if i run it manual it finds the test dvr, and nothing else. if i input any ip cam it changes the ip cams parameters so then i can't see that cam on my apps. i have to go into that cams parameters and change it back so my apps will find it again.

it seems to me this nvr should not be changing anything but only looking for something.

so tell me what am i missing. the=is nvr is called digital recording dvr model nvr6208 and no more number are on it. but ebay has lots of this type on it.

now i did not get an expensive unit for this reason if i could not get it to go i would not be out lots of money. and so far it is proving me correct. but maybe someone her can point me in a good direction. i guess even if that direction is toss it and run. and it can't be done etc. thanks for any ideas or help

Feb 10, 2019
I've just replaced my 5 year old IP cameras and DVR for some which are smaller and easier to setup.

The main problem I found with the old ones was 'port forwarding' on the router. I think I have a pdf about port forwarding ( was certainly the root of my issues ) but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here!

The newer systems use a server somewhere to get over you setting up the port forwarding ( I think that's how it works ). I've forgotten all I learned about this, it was a nightmare and I can't face getting into it again, in any depth. I will have a look on my iMac to see if I can find any sample configuration files which may help. I will also check the PF guide to see if it is in any way commercial, which would probably prohibit posting here.

Col.

Feb 10, 2019
Just checked and the port forwarding guide is the one which came with my original cameras, (XVision). I will post it here and I'm sure a moderator will remove it, if necessary but, as this information is freely available, on the Internet, if you know where to look, can't see a problem. Best thing is Private Message me and I will send you the pdf. Can't see a way to embed a file. Col.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
found the issue i had a bad cat5 cable for some reason i had one factory made but never did use it and this time for some reason it pulled the nvr down and did not let it show any video. as soon as i unpluged it from the nvr and then used another one the video shoes up. go figure that one it gave me no sign of failure on the nvr at all. thanks for the help

so ihad them connected find they worked on the nvr and sometimes onthe tiny cam app. so i moved the camera outside and now like most of the time it stopped. so like i was saying at first i think something is just wrong with this camera.

seems because the ip cam forum did not lie it because i told the owner to stop telling me to get his brand of camera i got banned. so will i get banned here? so for now thanks for the help.

Last edited:

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
so this is the kind of help i got for the ipcam site so do thing this guy is really a professional. he told me the parts i got from ebay wer junk so he could pust his products on me then lied about it and banned me from that site this is how he replied to me.

Yes, go ask your questions elsewhere. asshole. There are lots of other sites. Enjoy the indian/china spam. ???
You will NOT LIE on ipcamtalk.com I hate [] liars like you and take special joy in banishing you!
On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:04 PM bob p <> wrote:
if that is how you want to talk then go [xxxxx] your self. your not to only place to ask questions. if you want to be a baby about answering and your so thinked skinned then good. besides the site was not that good anyway.

To:
Sent: Friday, March 1, 2019 9:51 PM
Subject: banned

you are done here. I never recommended a "brand" to you. I will not let you [xxxxx] lie on my forum about me. Go get your free support elsewhere asshole.

Last edited by a moderator: