iPad 2 Has Samsung Reconsidering 10'' Tab Price

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I borrow an iPad for web development. It is nothing but complete junk and a waste of money. If Steve Jobs told Apple fanatics that it cost money to Apple to jump off a bridge...they would BUY into it...no pun intended.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
'Tech specs and usability, application availability, and community support are very different things. You can have something that is absolutely terrible technically but if you nail everything else and the community loves it, it will outsell everything. Nintendo Wii ring a bell?'

Which was my point....

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They should just charge $50 over the price of making the device, and boxing it with all it's junk and shipping etc.Or they should sell another model "Barebone Kit" with just the device and a charger/box.Then everybody's happy except Samsung because they think $50 profit on 20 million+ devices is a bad profit ($1 000 000 000)Greedy fools, I'd be happy with $20 profit ($5 on top of everything it costs to make it and box it with everything + shipping) especially if I planned on making millions of these devices.[/citation]

Production costs aren't the only costs involved. A lot of money is spent on R&D and marketing too, and these are hard to quantify. And 20 million is overestimated.

Apple might make a nice profit on such tight margins because they leech money from their App Store and iTunes, but Samsung is pretty much confined to the hardware and a few minor apps.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]nofu[/nom]This just goes to show these clowns don't really know what they are doing. Instead of copying apple products, they should copy apple's strategy, ie. making great products people will just love to use. The only thing which will save their asses is that there is enough apple hateboys who will always pick anything but apple even if it has crappy TN display, ugly design and no apps, say something like Xoom.[/citation]
If a TN display is so crappy why does apple use it in ALL it's macbook laptops?

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
IMHO the only way any company will beat Apple in the Tablet market is to make a better tablet that costs less than the iPad, otherwise the iPad is the easy choice for a consumer.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Has nothing to do with Greed. you might be happy with it but you have to understand the amount of cost associated with not only building a device but supporting the device as well. When companies provide a cost to build they are talking about components. you still have manufacturing costs, support costs, employee costs, ongoing development costs, marketing costs (to build awareness), packaging cost (which is also significant), and then R&D costs that have to be payed for. All of that and you still have to have the unit at a price point consumers will pay for. We are not talking about 1 person in their garage making each unit in 5 minutes and then dropping it in a box filled with popcorn and shipping it out. There there is allot that goes into this. This stuff is not easy to do.This is why Apple buy's up things like screens in bulk. To get the best per unit pricing and this is also why Apple is buying component manufacturing companies, so they don't have to pay the markup.[/citation]

Ya imagine their advertising costs, it takes some serious money to brainwash people and control the media with Apple "rumors," product placement, and giving away idevices to hollywood stars

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Samsung is just throwing out over-priced bait to see how many fish circle. Once they have enough fish swirling... they'll drop the price to $200 within the next 12 months. And 18 months from now there will be 3 models for $129, $179, and $199. Typical product roll out. FYI Apple 3Gs iPhones are free and/or less than $50 now.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pwjone1[/nom]It is interesting to me that Samsung and others seem to be "surprised" with the Apple iPad 2 pricing. We're still paying quite a premium for tablets, a laptop with bigger screen, keyboard, bigger battery, more expensive CPU, still retails for less. Granted, the further miniaturization adds some cost, but still, seems a lot of room for lower prices. And Apple in every other segment is generally more expensive. In Tablets and iPhones, Apple can probably afford to cut margins because of their App store model. So if I were Samsung (or another prospective competitor (Moto)), I'd just reprice at something lower than Apple is at, and then try and match them on quality of screen, etc. Don't worry the nitty little details, tablets will be 50% of their current price points within 3 years.[/citation]

Goddammit I can't wait three years! I need a tablet right now but there is no way I'm paying that much! So I'll keep waiting for reasonable prices.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]They should just charge $50 over the price of making the device, and boxing it with all it's junk and shipping etc.Or they should sell another model "Barebone Kit" with just the device and a charger/box.Then everybody's happy except Samsung because they think $50 profit on 20 million+ devices is a bad profit ($1 000 000 000)Greedy fools, I'd be happy with $20 profit ($5 on top of everything it costs to make it and box it with everything + shipping) especially if I planned on making millions of these devices.[/citation]
They need to think channeling profit to their worker as well. And to pay an amount for R&D et cetera. They are a big company.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I borrow an iPad for web development. It is nothing but complete junk and a waste of money. If Steve Jobs told Apple fanatics that it cost money to Apple to jump off a bridge...they would BUY into it...no pun intended.[/citation]
You're an idiot. The first clue? That you would use an iPad for development. The iPad is a content viewing device, not content creation. Next you're going to tell me you couldn't play Crysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS