iPad Makes for Awesome Car Dashboard Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

polly the parrot

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
This is so going to result in a bunch of car accidents. Of course, Toyota could pray that other car manufactures implement this as an option in cars to turn the fingers away from themselves.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have to say this might be the best use for the Ipad I've heard so far, although I'm slightly biased as car stereo equipment is a guilty pleasure of mine. If properly integrated and supported this might be a reason for me to buy it, but I doubt that will be anytime soon. The ipod was fairly instrumental in putting the last nail in the coffin of the car CD changer. It was actually cheaper to get an ipod than the changer. Someday it might be cheaper to get the Ipad than it is to get an integrated tv/computer music storage device into the head unit. I look forward to that day.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]why not wait for the 3g version and use it as gps with google maps and listen to music?[/citation]

Yes, I'd have to agree! With out the 3g it is not nearly as useful. Of course you will most likely be able to do this with future tablets and it could be more useful, provided it had 3g on the unit. However I'm sure stereo manufactures will always be more likely to support apple products, specifically alpine, which currently has the most integrated ipod interface, well, at least licensed interface.

Dizzy21

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
What's really cool is that when he rolls the truck after being distracted by the iPad, the display will reorient itself so emergency crews can watch Youtube as they extract him. On the 3G model of course.

G

Pretty slick, I actually wouldn't mind one just for something like this, seems like a cool project. I love how it fits so perfectly for them, very smooth.

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Looks like it would have a ton of glare in a car. Most LCDs in cars are built to deal with glare, the ipad has a shiny screen.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Pretty awesome but a couple of problems I foresee...

1. That thing is extremely reflective. Need to get an anti-glare cover.

2. I don't know where these people are located but notebooks are not to be left in vehicles for hours at a time in direct sunlight. That thing will bake.

3. It's unwise to even leave GPS sitting on your dash much less a $500+ iPad sitting there clear as day. How long do they expect this thing to last before it's gone?

4. No 3G makes this slightly useless unless this vehicle surfs as a wi-fi hotspot, which it might. Without a connection the device is relatively useless outside of being a huge media player.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I dislike the iPad, but this actually seems like it could/would work (or any other tablet)

1. Tinted windows ... get them

2. Tinted windows and ... take it out and throw it in a bag when you are leaving your car in the sun for hours on end

3. Car alarm/ make it easily removable

4. Agreed about 3g needed, but, I don't really see it as 'useless', just based on the huge media player.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
somebodys gonna steal it or the sun is gonna fuck up the screen. looks like cali.here in mia the inside of cars can hit 100 degrees easy on an 80 degree day.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
This is one of the greatest ideas I have every seen,

Just think about it, all the hardcore Mactards will crash and burn because of this, and Apple will actually have to do something worthwhile without the cultists to throw money at them.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
lol it takes:

"redneck + greasemonkey + fashionista" to create a use for the iUseless...

where is Chuck Norris to put an end to all these apple nonsense...

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Someone needs to let the fool know that since he put that pieceOcrap there he will have to have the AC on cold and ofc NEVER even consider turning the heat on, cause since the sunlight will be hitting it , or alone the car temperature will be locking up and shutting down his iPad since it cant handle even average heat temperatures... No, he isnt aware of the iPads heating issues.

Sucks that he fucked up his car for nothing. Wonder how long took him to realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.