iPad Makes for Awesome Car Dashboard Unit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I dont get it, the audio system is 5.1 but the IPAD has only analogue out signal, HTF should that work out??

Its stereo at best!

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Why on earth would you put that in a toyota tacoma/4runner is beyond me...

I can tell you first hand the glare coming in on the dash is awful.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]why not wait for the 3g version and use it as gps with google maps and listen to music?[/citation]
Just swap it out later...same size dude

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]why not wait for the 3g version and use it as gps with google maps and listen to music?[/citation]

This sounds like a good idea. And the Ipad does look very nice within the dashboard (I'm not saying the ipad is good, i'd much prefer something other than apple in my dashboard)

but the idea of listening to music whilst using a GPRS function sounds great.

shoota

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
this is pretty cool! this is one of the few times i can see the lack of multitasking actually not being such a bother. but it would still bother me lol. keep us updated on their new videos as they put them out thanks!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]Just swap it out later...same size dude[/citation]
So spend between 500 and 700 now plus 630 to 830 later? Sounds like a plan.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
This is the best use of the Touch XL I've seen. And the pricing of it actually matches what options like these added to cars usually end up costing anyways.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ha ha ha, did they account for the heat output? hope they made sure to direct some cold air on it from the AC vents. what happens when the battery does not hold any more charge? since when do you get wife on US highways? This is such a retarded mod, i don't see the point

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]I dislike the iPad, but this actually seems like it could/would work (or any other tablet)1. Tinted windows ... get them2. Tinted windows and ... take it out and throw it in a bag when you are leaving your car in the sun for hours on end3. Car alarm/ make it easily removable4. Agreed about 3g needed, but, I don't really see it as 'useless', just based on the huge media player.[/citation]
CarPuter, USB GPS, flip out LCD touchscreen, might be bit more work but so much better then using iPad, and with right parts, can connect to car audio system and have MUCH bigger HDD space.

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I just finished my carputer installation. I replaced the OEM stereo with a 7" Lilliput touchscreen monitor, installed Windows 7 on a ULV based board and am using Centrafuse as a front end.

500 GB hard drive with ALL of my music, GPS, OBDII to connect to my car's 'computer' system, rear-cam, bluetooth phone support, can go online through my phone, and internet connection sharing through my WiFi card. A million times more useful then the iPad waste of time install.

jackleung

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Although I do not have a big screen like iPad, but my WM phone + JVC BT-1 works much better than that.

1. Music is route wirelessly thru A2DP. With multi-tasking, music player is running at background and I can control the music play via AVRCP.

2. Lot more GPS software options (iGo8, Garmin Mobile XT, iGuidance, TomTom ..etc)

3. Many HTC devices comes with FM which can be use to receive TMC traffic information realtime.

paddyt007

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
FFS whats with the haters in this thread, the ipad isn't built in it slides in so heat is not a problem. Anti glare screen protectors cost next to nothing, not a problem. The type of people installing these are the type that already have LCD screens or will get one anyway, so distraction isn't a problem.

If your so bitter towards apple thats fine but stop making up non existent problems.

paddyt007

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
FFS whats with the haters in this thread, the ipad isn't built in it slides in so heat is not a problem. Anti glare screen protectors cost next to nothing, not a problem. The type of people installing these are the type that already have LCD screens or will get one anyway, so distraction isn't a problem.

If your so bitter towards apple thats fine but stop making up non existent problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.