Question ipad to/from SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2021
Nothing will recognize an "unpowered SSD ".
What are you actually trying to do?
I have a WD Secretary 256gb SSD connected to an 8th gen iPad (32gb) from which it draws it's power, having a low capacity I wanted to store data on the SSD but it does not recognise the drive. Thanks for the reply.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
It's always best to use a external supply, SSD's that you would think draws less current( and generally does) has higher current spikes that a mechanical drive would not.

I found this out through experiencing this myself before, really depends on the computers own power supply capabilities, so go external supply.

Feb 19, 2021
It's always best to use a external supply, SSD's that you would think draws less current( and generally does) has higher current spikes that a mechanical drive would not.

I found this out through experiencing this myself before, really depends on the computers own power supply capabilities, so go external supply.
I should have made clear it is an external SSD (Western Digital, My Secretary) that draws it’s power from its host in this case iPad. My error sorry.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
So it IS drawing it's power from the same device that the data I/O is?
I understand it is an external hard drive, but the power is still coming from the
same device you want to do data transfers, right?
That MAY be an issue as to why the device is not being seen.
But I have no way of proving or disproving that. Being as it's a Apple product,
I can't get any info or suggest any hardware to help further. Sounds like you may be
stuck paying Apple prices to find an answer. Which is why I'm not a big fan of the company.
I don't like turtleneck shirts/sweaters either. : )
But I am not biased against people who do prefer Apple. Personal choice, I'm all for it.
Good luck.

P.S. Are there any strictly apple chatrooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.