Iphone 3G

icemann77

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
- Who has bought the new iphone 3G? give your 2 cents on this. because im planning to buy one as well. and i need feedback. :)

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
I got one for a friend, they're nice enough, but battery is an issue (be sure to get a battery pack case like the Mophie Juice pack), app store is OK, but the apps are buggier than those on my hacked iPod Touch.

It has alot of potential, and I prefer it hacked, just like the iPod, main limitations out of the box, no video capture, mediocre camera, no cut/paste, cannot be used as an external drive, files not viewable from Windows, poor speaker, no stereo bluetooth, limited battery life, limited 3G coverage (versus eVDO).

An most importantly for this forum, as a PDA it kinda sucks, the predictive spelling this is TERRIBLE, and a bunch of basic features you'd expect on a first gen Palm aren't there. Get something else, either windows or palm based if it's acting as a PDA primarily.

Biggest advantages: nice screen (still glass), nice media playback features, iTunes store, good web browser.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Ok guys, I've got a question here. Where can I buy an Iphone 3g without a contract? I tried yesterday, but I couldn't. I want to sell it on ebay. I asked the Apple representative if I could just buy one for a friend, with no contract, so that the friend could choose his own when he got the phone, but they told me no, I had to either buy it with a contract or buy my friend a gift card.

Problem is, nobody on ebay wants to get an iphone giftcard, they want an iphone with no contract. How did all the people selling contractless iphone 3g's get them?? Some people on there even have more than one to sell, one person is selling 5. How in the world did he get 5 when the limit is one per person??

Am I missing something here?? Please help, thanks

Here is a link to the ebay page: - Link deleted by TGGA (keep e-Bay links specific to replies, not self-generated questions / ie no advertising yours or others' links) - :non:

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Not everywhere requires contracts for iPhones. These phone are usually more expensive than the US AT&T subsidized phones to begin with.
Also some require contracts for the user's sim, they can still sell the discounted phone to others if they already have something else.

BUT, most importantly, don't go asking how to flip phones in the forum, there's enough information out there if you bother to search for it through the usual methods. :pfff:

pmerritt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
iphone is overrated imho.....it is a nice device, don't get me wrong, but it's definately not the end all device. and for all the people that always say bad things about windows mobile pda devices. Through software, you can perform almost every function the iphone has and then some. all i'm saying is that you really have to spend some time with these devices if you really want to see which one is best for you.

Thats right,Iphone has some limitations and bad things too, for example it doesnt have a QWERTY keyboard(its important for many),u cant install many apps on it compared to windows mobile, its camera isnt very good(some people need more than 2.0mp camera).....

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

Actually Windows Mobile sucks, and I've had 5 phones with it on them. The non-touch versions are as usless as a non-smartphone device (more so often because they crash more often), and the resolution of an average Windows phone sucks. for the amount of time it's been on the market, it's a joke. Palm was way better, but of course they got lazy with Cobalt, and voila, now both suck. iPhone is buggy as crap too, but I expect that from something that's only a year old, Windows Mobile is about 4 years old and on a ton of devices, yet still has a weak developer community (more interested in selling you a craptacular buggy app for $19.99).

IMO they all suck, but the nice thing is that the iPhone is changing the way people use and look at their phone, and doing most of the things Microsoft promised to do with Windows Mobile, but never delivered because they never put the resources into it. My next phone purchase will probably still be a windows Mobile device, but I sure hope that this competition makes it better than my previous ones which don't make me a fan of the platform (I still prefer my old Palm based phone [cause it's productive as heck and lotsa free small apps that work] and use it in conjunction with an iPod touch [good for A/V and browsing only]).

M$ has the money, the talent and the install base, the only thing they don't have is the product. They can change that, but like Palm they could also blow their major lead and let people like Apple and Google just pass them by as the reason to get a phone. I'd prefer Linux or Simbian on my next phone if it came with enough features which is the only thing that makes some (very small few IMO) Windows based phones attractive like the Samsung i900 over it's Simbian brother the i8510, which is pretty damn close.

I agree with u about many problems that windows mobile has,and yes the non-touchscreen version really sucks.
But new WM based phones like HTC DIAMOND or SAMSUNG I900 OMNIA are really nice and are well featured.

anonymous too

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I'm using an iPod touch - and am responding since it's the PDA features I bought it for. It's a beautiful device, very easy to use, great display. It works very well for what I need it to do - it's synced with my iMac at home, my Dell at work, through MobileMe. That was an excruciating experience at first, but has settled down into a reliable service that keeps my contacts and calendar synced and available pretty much wherever I am.
I previously used a Palm PDA - found it easy to get into the routine of syncing and found it very handy to have my info in my pocket. The downside was the Palm lasted less than a year. I replaced it and the second one lost its digitization ability less than a year later. It wasn't the money, but the hassle of losing the info until i could get a new device and get the info restored from my computer.
So far, (my 16GB touch is almost a year old) I've had none of the challenges I've seen others having - it's never bricked when I've upgraded, the apps I've added all work very well, it has a ton of interesting features (I have powerpoint presentations (Keynote, actually) on it and it's incredible how effective it is to hand the device to someone to watch the presentation and ask questions - it gets rave reviews for that.
My co-workers, who all use different devices (Blackberry, Palm) really like the touch- mostly because it's such a great looking piece of technology.