iPhone 4 Launched Into Space, Takes HD Video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't really like pointing this out but why is it that the article is stating that the iPhone is doing the recording when the video that the author put at the bottom of the article clearly states that this is untrue?

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

Oh look, an edit button!
thgx.jpg

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Apparently any video you see today trending on the side of your youtube homepage will be news on Tom's soon. I'm just wondering when "The Rent Is Too Damned High" will get some play here.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
OMG... cant somebody.. fricken hack into those spam servers... and give out the personal info of its owner or owners.. then we can track them down.. and @#$@$@$ them!

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]MG... cant somebody.. fricken hack into those spam servers... and give out the personal info of its owner or owners.. then we can track them down.. and @#$@$@$ them![/citation]
just give their adress to 4chan and it will get done!

Anyways im still stunned as to how some people don't have a problem sending their own equipment on a high risk probably gonna but luckily did not break mission like this!

I don't like the fact that the highlight was on the iPhone, as it really had little to do with the experiment itself, except for recovery...

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Am i the only one getting sick of this , iphone into space, iphone into the toilet, iphone in the bus band , iphone that iphone this ? just cut the crap already a htc could do the same thing yet you don`t see anybody launching witha baloon a htc. No pun intended Tom`s but flooding the site with stupid things that an apple product can do or can`t do is not really appealing to read. Why is everybody trying to do stupid or usless things only with apple gear ? Like puttin a stupid ipad in a luxury car like they did with BMW/Mercedes ...[/citation]

Maybe the HTC phone owners want to keep their phones, not shoot them into space.... and fail.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The video was impressive...but it's no more impressive than any of the other 'space balloon' videos out there. In fact, the role played by the phone in this launch pales in comparison with what has been accomplished already with other phones.
eg. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/gallery-gadgets-in-space/?pid=52&viewall=true

This is nothing new. When it comes to impressive performance by a phone, the one video that stands out in my mind is the one featuring the Nexus One Android phone that a NASA-affiliated team strapped to a rocket to test its endurance limits under satellite launch conditions. The phone successfully filmed its own ascent from ground to 28,000 ft while traveling at speeds of up to Mach 2.4 (1,800 mph)....that's some serious G forces right there.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/07/cell-phone-satellite/

The only reason this particular event even got into the mainstream news is that someone noticed they put an old iPhone in the package to help them find the camera and its video footage afterward. If they had tossed another phone in there to do the GPS tracking, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the most disturbing thing about all this is how the mere mention of the words 'iPhone' triggered a reality distortion field around members of the supposedly intelligent, fact-checking people in the media that resulted in the circulation of totally BS info about the iPhone's role in the experiment. This tells me that when it comes to the iPhone, media credibility no longer exists.

G

I'm trying to get some GPS track files to replay in StarTraX (free download from gpsanimator.com). Any chance of sending me a gpx or nmea log?
info{at}gpsanimator{dot}com

Status
Not open for further replies.