iPhone 4 vs. Droid 2 and Droid X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Brothaman[/nom]The iPhone 4G is head above shoulders over any other smartphone. The Android Market Place which is at about 27 thousand apps which 90% are tinky dink don't compare to the Apple App Store which carry now over 155 thousand apps on the new 4G operating system dwarf all competition in not just amount, but app quality. I own a app that automatically starts my car, I have the translated app which is seen in the commercial for when I travel to Europe in the summer. Now the 4GS is carrying a better camera with the Apple Photo Enhancer app. Along with multitasking (unlike any other device), video calling, and everything I enjoyed with my 2G and 3GS. Tell me a phone that comes close. The Droid devices are known for freezing and powering off issues, the experience with the droids are mediocre unless you are one that has never used a PDA before. Then if you were to give that same person a iPhone they would never look back. Tomorrow when the iPhone is released at stores they'll sell out before lunch. AT&T has special hours for tomorrow because of the iPhone, those that don't love the iPhone either don't like AT&T, don't like touchscreen devices, or has never used one. I have the phone it's the HANDS DOWN best smartphone ever created![/citation]

Please shut up. Your babble is brain damaging. First and foremost; My Nokia E71 (circa 2008) had multitasking. I even remember joking that 'IDIOTIC Apple fanbois will try to claim it had multi tasking first'. In fact, my cicra 2010 (pre iOS4) HTC Desire had multitasking, I believe the HTC Hero did too.

By the way, Andriod as an OS has grown a lot faster than Apple. We all know that a majority of the people buying the new iPhone already have one.

Seriously, I've used an iPhone. I could afford an iPhone. In fact, the iPhone was right in my grasp. But, I purchased the HTC Desire. It's a better phone.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]jimslaid2[/nom]Well phones capture in 720p, where is the input jack for a high quality microphone?[/citation]

You sir, make sense.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]FaceTime? Is that eating up your soon-to-be very expensive data plan? If so, why is it touted as something akin to the best thing since sliced bread? And the conclusion is very biased. A toss-up? Seriously, if one takes a look at the specs, one can see that the Droids are taking the lead in about 90% of them. If anything, it is a clear argument for the Droids. The last paragraph sums it all up, but that is something we already knew. Personal preferences... Really, I would like to know what kind of news is this article bringing up to the table, if any.[/citation]

Facetime does not use the dataplan, only works on Wifi. The dataplan is 25 bucks. Verizons is $44.99 for the same thing except that it is unlimited. Even the old AT&T unlimited plan was $35. Verizon also has a personal non business dataplan that is $29 but how the hell to you differentiate the cost delta when business is pretty is just email/calendering for the most part. Verizon has always had a higher price on their data plan. I am no an AT&T fan at all but these are facts.

Pretty the only thing you said in your post that was dead on accurate was that it is a matter a preference.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]Please shut up. Your babble is brain damaging. First and foremost; My Nokia E71 (circa 2008) had multitasking. I even remember joking that 'IDIOTIC Apple fanbois will try to claim it had multi tasking first'. In fact, my cicra 2010 (pre iOS4) HTC Desire had multitasking, I believe the HTC Hero did too.By the way, Andriod as an OS has grown a lot faster than Apple. We all know that a majority of the people buying the new iPhone already have one. Seriously, I've used an iPhone. I could afford an iPhone. In fact, the iPhone was right in my grasp. But, I purchased the HTC Desire. It's a better phone.[/citation]

Why the hell is multi-tasking on a phone such a big deal? I don't understand that at all. Could someone give me a must have example of why multitasking is so important because I hear people get very passionate about this feature and yet I see no real use for it at all.

Also in terms of growth, are you talking about user base growth because your argument is flawed if that is what your talking about. Here is why, there is a Driod device on every single network in the US and there are at least 4 phone manufacturers including Google that make a phone with Driod on it. If you want to make an apples to apples comparison on sales dominance take 1 carriers sales figures on their most popular Driod device (1 Phone) vs AT&T's figures for the IPhone (1 Phone). Driod recently surpassed IPhones number of users with all carriers and all devices combined. Impressive for Driod but also impressive for Apple. Don't forget that AT&T also has a Andriod devices... Aria, Backflip and a couple of others. You could even take all Android devices on just Verizon vs IPhone on just AT&T and you will see that Android although great and popular, pales in comparison sales wise.

yoodog

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Yep, Iphone 4 DOES run on 1GHz core that is perfectly correct, I have seen the tests of it, and they proved it. More over Iphone 4 is the smallest smart-phone with 1GHz core and the only phone with such an incredible resolution of the screen. Go to Apple.com for more information!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The iPhone doesn't run at 1Ghz
There isn't a battery life category (which is incredibly important... no pun intended)

The hardware wouldn't be much of a toss up if this comparison actually compared anything useful. You could have just compared the iPhone 4 to the Droid X to keep the controls similar and hit more specific points. Battery life, Speed, Features, Reliability (iPhone 4 antennae), etc.

G

is this review correct ? ... it say Droid X has no keyboard - touchscreen only .......... other reviews state Droid X has slide out keyboard with touch/track pad.

arthead

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I want to remind something, just a facts of my own life.In 2001 i bought modified version of Creative Jukebox (if anybody remembers what it is) with upgraded, 40gb hard drive and working out of 4 NiM AA Rechargeable Batteries. It cost me $350 Later same year first ipod came out with 1Gb hd pretty cool look, irreplaceable battery and "attractive" price:$1000. I was laughing! $1000 for this? Are you kidding? man, Creative is the king! Why even Apple tried to get into the completely full market?They have no chance! It is 2010 now,can anybody tell me, what share of mp3 players Creative has now? Does anybody even buy them? And who is most successful mp3,mp4 players IN THE WORLD right now? China of course,producing cheapest versions of ipods:) Just kidding.If you listen to a kids, there is no such expression as mp 3 player, there is one word iPod! If it is notiPod,the don't want it!
Now, in 2007, when first iPhone came out i had Audiovox PPC6700, solid pretty cool looking device with Sprint telephone and data service.Sprint alreadyhad EVO network, speed of internet was a killing: i could download 3+mb song in about 1 minute! it had Windows Mobile 4(or 5) OS, it was excellent! When iPhone came out,i admitted that it is pretty cool looking, but,was't much excited about it.The only competitor for PPC6700 at the time was Sidekick.That what I thought, anyway.My introduction to iphone wasn't pleasant, 2 unfortunate events happened right before:1.I lost my 3rd ipod (Creative Jukebox was forgotten,dusting in a closet long time ago and wasn't functioning already 2 years or so:); 2. I dropped my PPC6700 and cracked screen.Why not to try better phone company (AT&T had a better rep then) and combined phone/ipod? I bought iPhone the same day (i work in a restaurant, so this is a answer to some about affordability). I wouldn't say that it was love from the first touch,(don't forget, I had something to compare to) thisone didn't have comfortable qwerty keyboard,that I got used to,internet speed sucked compare to PPC6700 (at least 3 times slower),speaker is low,no copy and paste, no flash support,no SD card reader,however I've noticed a few good things to:1.I noticed,that I do like to take a phone out of pocket and look at it,just for a few seconds, to enjoy it's beauty.2.Quality of display is beyond comparison,3.Even thou internet is slower, but I spend much more time surfing, because it isn't consuming my entire battery in1.5-2 hours.4.It is really a smartphone.5.I check my emails more on the phone, then on computer, I don't pick my phone out of pocket to realize, that I've made20 phone calls to a last person i've called....
It is 2010 now, and no one is going to argue, that era of Windows Mobile OS is over, and BlackBerry is not a real competitor for an Apple's iPhone. Motorola is.But don't forget 3 things:1.This device is capable of way more,then AT&T capable of,just unlock it and get everything you want,2.Apple's Customer support is beyond comparison.3.It is just a (for ipod it is a year numberyear number 3 for an ipod it is a year 9.If with that amount of capital (with just about 10$ per share, what can they do now, with 260$ per share and $235B)
Today,nobody is even doubted, that iPhone is already no.1 on the Smartphone market.Yes, Droid is better in 1.Flash,2.Screen size,3.ability to use removable storage,4.Keyboard.Everything else is highly arguable.
Let anyone to chose what the want.Just don't sometimes mix bundle product/service provider with just a product.They aren't equal!
To finish my story i will compare Apple to an ants, building ant house. it isn't perfect at the beginning,but building up, constantly modified until perfection. And the last thing: if there is something useful but big on the ants way, they will pick it up and use it for building their perfect ant house! :)
Motorola might win the battle, but they will lose war. Peace!

G

Some good points from previous posters.

I'm surprised to see nobody complaining about how forceful and controlling Apple is!

Jailbreaks don't count :) They have no warranty. So no great customer support there.

Itunes HAS to be used to transfer data. IPhone is supposed to be a media centric device. I'm disappointed I can't stream media from my home network. My CF PSP,360, and PS3 can all stream media on my network.

The app store is censored. If Apple decides something is offensive or inflammatory, it doesn't make the cut.

Censoring political cartoons is an excellent example. Apple's actions w/ the app store are draconian.

All the phones have their strengths and weaknesses. Micro HDMI out is the shiz! Last time I checked it wasn't cost effective to hook an idevice up to a television.

Apple is still king of the hill. They are slipping though. Loyalist ensure high sales w/ consistency.

Droid phones could really use some sort of standardization. The firmware support shouldn't be so fragmented. How far apart are updates released?

Neither is my ideal choice for gameplay either. The App Store is as casual as the Wii. People that don't game can find plenty.

Experienced gamers can easily point out a sickly ratio between shovelware and decent software. I'm sure the Droid marketplace has it's share too. NSC,PSN,and XBL have theirs.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]Please shut up. Your babble is brain damaging. First and foremost; My Nokia E71 (circa 2008) had multitasking. I even remember joking that 'IDIOTIC Apple fanbois will try to claim it had multi tasking first'. In fact, my cicra 2010 (pre iOS4) HTC Desire had multitasking, I believe the HTC Hero did too.By the way, Andriod as an OS has grown a lot faster than Apple. We all know that a majority of the people buying the new iPhone already have one. Seriously, I've used an iPhone. I could afford an iPhone. In fact, the iPhone was right in my grasp. But, I purchased the HTC Desire. It's a better phone.[/citation]

"It's a better phone"
That's a matter of oppion!

johnhammcors

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
it is a rumor goes that there are many men purchase apple iphone4 factory unlocked from a webstore ego2000 because they offer the original product and the competitive price. how they get so preferential frice for the customers !!

G

What good is a smartphone with a gazillion apps if the service is poor. Been with Verizon for more than 10 years and I love my Droid2, I love not having calls dropped and I LOVE the speed of the network + the processor. Android is the iPhone killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.