iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II in a Drop Test

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]tat2demon[/nom]Ive dropped my 3s in parking lots about half a dozen times and it has nothing more than a few scratches. Still cant wait to get a S2.[/citation]
Same thing. I once dropped my friends iPhone 3 "on accident" at a mall and all the thing got was a scratch on the damn paint. WTF?

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Do people really buy $500-$600 phone but won't spend 10 bucks on a case to protect it? That's like buying a corvette and putting in regular gas![/citation]

And what exactly is "regular gas?" If you mean octane rating, I really hope you aren't arbitrarily putting a higher octane fuel into your car because it will "go faster." That would be like forcefully plugging your "$500-$600 phone" into a 220V appliance outlet simply because it "has a higher voltage."

Okay... So maybe using the wrong octane may be a little less detrimental than the plug :)

cameronjpu

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]And what exactly is "regular gas?" If you mean octane rating, I really hope you aren't arbitrarily putting a higher octane fuel into your car because it will "go faster." That would be like forcefully plugging your "$500-$600 phone" into a 220V appliance outlet simply because it "has a higher voltage."Okay... So maybe using the wrong octane may be a little less detrimental than the plug[/citation]

Terrible metaphors are FUN!

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I thought you were supposed to put those iStuff in an altar next to Steve Job's statue...

dropping them means you're using them as a mobile device which you aren't supposed to do that...

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]I thought you were supposed to put those iStuff in an altar next to Steve Job's statue...dropping them means you're using them as a mobile device which you aren't supposed to do that...[/citation]

Exactly right not suppose to break like that when you accidentally drop it.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Now I'm convinced the Samsung Galaxy S II is superior in EVERY single way[/citation]

No, HTC Universe IV GTS is better.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]When is Toms going to do something about these droidfags? They are worse than spammers.[/citation]

They get jelly because iPhone news nets more traffic, and is more important than any Android phone on the market. With that said, this is just the weekly treat thrown to the Andtards so they can get out their aggression that stems from their buggy Android OS experience.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]When is Toms going to do something about these droidfags? They are worse than spammers.[/citation]
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]They get jelly because iPhone news nets more traffic, and is more important than any Android phone on the market. With that said, this is just the weekly treat thrown to the Andtards so they can get out their aggression that stems from their buggy Android OS experience.[/citation]
Butthurt much aren't you? Well you see Tom's is place for people who know thing or two about tech, and who don't need iSuck experience provided by Apple :)

Have a nice life :)

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
It's cool man. While you Fandroids congregate on an online forum to bash rival technology, I'll congregate at your moms house to help soften up the blow of her mid-life crisis.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]An HTC will fear even better ina drop test than the galaxy S2, the sensation is faster in linpack test than the galaxy S2, and its milled chassis makes sure it will not (from shoulder hight) fall onto its glass face, even if it did it woud not break as bothe sensation and S2 have gorilla glass[/citation]

And this is why it fared better. Most high end Android phones are using Gorilla Glass. My Bionic does.

Normal glass is nice, until you drop it. And even if you had a case there is still a chance of the glass breaking if it falls the right way and on certain types of concrete (the one they dropped it on was a bit rough compared to normal sidewalks).

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]They get jelly because iPhone news nets more traffic, and is more important than any Android phone on the market. With that said, this is just the weekly treat thrown to the Andtards so they can get out their aggression that stems from their buggy Android OS experience.[/citation]

Yea I hate having choiche or having a phone that when dropped the same way actually survives. I also hate being able to customize my UI.

Man Android is horrible.

Seriously, the iPhone is boring. In fact if anything Apple has become the same thing they were against in that 1984 commercial of theirs. Everything they make is the same, looks the same and is stuck the same.

I don't count jailbreaking either.

Sunfighterlc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Who was the comedian that said Iphones were designed to be dropped so you have to buy more? He had a point, Apple is supposedly genius with their application design and cell phone design, yet when it came to cell phone grip they suddenly went stupid? he said hell no..they designed it for you to be dropped. Think of tools, hammer grips arnt coated with high gloss plastic/chrome.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I have to admit, even if smartphones are not meant to be treated that way that is no excuse for screen to crack like that. that phone needs to go back to Q&A and more testing needs to be done. It will not survive in "real world" situations like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.