iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II in a Drop Test

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]lol hes tlaking about thegalaxy S3 NOT the usless Iphone 3S and hes droped it (like I have) on concrete NOT in a stupid mall smooth floor![/citation]
Dude chill. You don't have to burst into sudden rage. It was an honest mistake. No need to get your underwear in a twist...

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Not saying anything is wrong with this "test" but I've seen the same thing shown for iPad's and never believed they were not staged in some way.

Our original iPad is strictly for use by the kids and our 4 and 9 year olds have dropped it at least a hundred times on our hardwood floors, the sidewalk and driveway outside getting in and out of the car, we've stepped on it, sat on it on the couch numerous times, the dog tried to chew on it and flipped it around the living room, it has been pulled off the bookcase by the charging base cord too many times to count (our 4 year old can't reach the iPad when it is in the base but figured out if he pulls the cord he can get it to come down to where he can get to it) and much more abuse and there is not one visable mark on the unit anywhere.

So I think it is kind of weird that they could take a new unit out of the box and destroy it in 3 drops, but you never know. Don't have and iPhone so I have no experience with it at all. Just saying that I very seriously doubt the same tests that show an iPad get broken that quickly.

superbeast406

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]And what exactly is "regular gas?" If you mean octane rating, I really hope you aren't arbitrarily putting a higher octane fuel into your car because it will "go faster." That would be like forcefully plugging your "$500-$600 phone" into a 220V appliance outlet simply because it "has a higher voltage."Okay... So maybe using the wrong octane may be a little less detrimental than the plug[/citation]

Corvettes and most other high performance engines require higher octane fuel due to the higher compression ratios in the enginese. So yeah, it is pretty detrimental to put 87 octane in a Corvette that requires 91 octane. Pre-Detonation is the result, in some cases it may only cause decrease in power, in others it can shatter the pistons.
And I don't see how this article is news, Galaxy S II uses Gorilla Glass panels and AMOLED screens. Apple wouldn't pay Corning for thier technology, Samsung does. Apple has their own glass formula that can't match up to the strength of Gorilla Glass. Hence iPhones shatter easier than Galaxies do.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]When is Toms going to do something about these droidfags? They are worse than spammers.[/citation]
Indeed, but still nowhere near as annoying than applefags.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]They get jelly because iPhone news nets more traffic, and is more important than any Android phone on the market. With that said, this is just the weekly treat thrown to the Andtards so they can get out their aggression that stems from their buggy Android OS experience.[/citation]

iPhone is not as important anymore. Samsung shipped 20 million phones while Apple did 17.4 million in the last quarter - Samsung is overtaking, as it should, with superior technology AND better build quality :)

I'm not an Android fan - I don't even have a smartphone. But if I would buy a smartphone, I'd choose the best value for money, as I always do with all purchases - and that would be an Android phone, of course. 2 years ago that would be Symbian - Nokia N8. I'm not a fan of anything but value for money, and thus I loathe Apple.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I am positive that I will always drop my phone that high for many many times accidentally. So guess iphone is for sissys who "taking care" of their phone really really careful without a drop for a few years?

Come on give us a better Motorola Defy

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
oddly enough i've dropped my SGS a few times on concrete without incident, no screen protectors. No damage

Yet i have it in my pocket and some loose change manages to scratch the glass...

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Now I'm convinced the Samsung Galaxy S II is superior in EVERY single way[/citation]

If we remove CPU/GPU performance, camera, apps, customer satisfaction rating & battery life (when actually using the phone), then yes, yes it is.

[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]When is Toms going to do something about these droidfags? They are worse than spammers.[/citation]

This.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Butthurt much aren't you? Well you see Tom's is place for people who know thing or two about tech, and who don't need iSuck experience provided by Apple Have a nice life[/citation]

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/files/2011/08/hunchgraphic.png

http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011/08/android-vs-iphone-reinforcing-some-very-silly-stereotypes/

My personal favourite:

'Android users are 71 percent more likely to have never traveled outside the country (maybe they have a CDMA phone that doesn’t travel well!), while iPhone users are 50 percent more likely to have visited more than five countries.'

And by the way, if you knew anything about tech, you would know that the iPhone has the fastest CPU/GPU on the market right now :)

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Yea I hate having choiche or having a phone that when dropped the same way actually survives. I also hate being able to customize my UI.Man Android is horrible.Seriously, the iPhone is boring. In fact if anything Apple has become the same thing they were against in that 1984 commercial of theirs. Everything they make is the same, looks the same and is stuck the same.I don't count jailbreaking either.[/citation]

Stuck the same? By being able to offer every possible functionality extension that any mobile phone can, being as it is attached to the biggest app store in the world?

I wonder if you were just unable to figure out how to use it?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]iPhone is not as important anymore. Samsung shipped 20 million phones while Apple did 17.4 million in the last quarter - Samsung is overtaking, as it should, with superior technology AND better build quality I'm not an Android fan - I don't even have a smartphone. But if I would buy a smartphone, I'd choose the best value for money, as I always do with all purchases - and that would be an Android phone, of course. 2 years ago that would be Symbian - Nokia N8. I'm not a fan of anything but value for money, and thus I loathe Apple.[/citation]

Apple sell more smartphones than Samsung. The last quarter saw a slow down in smartphones for Apple because a new release was scheduled (ie the iPhone 4S) so isn't the correct comparison - you should compare annually.

You get what you pay for with the iPhone 4S - if you want the fastest phone on the market, you have to pay a little more for it.

jms22

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
It really fascinates the obssesion some people have with smartphones. Like the great George Carlin said: "if cell phones were invisible nobody will pay attention to them".

Please make your call, keep it short, hang up and STFU.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]And what exactly is "regular gas?" If you mean octane rating, I really hope you aren't arbitrarily putting a higher octane fuel into your car because it will "go faster." That would be like forcefully plugging your "$500-$600 phone" into a 220V appliance outlet simply because it "has a higher voltage."Okay... So maybe using the wrong octane may be a little less detrimental than the plug[/citation]

Ummm, try putting 87 octane in a high compression or turbocharged engine and watch the engine sh*t itself trying to cope with predetonation. More often there will be severe damage to the engine. Enjoy that mechanics bill. Intelligence is a dying art...

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I guess the samsung uses LED scrreen? Oviously the 4S uses a crappy screen, becuase LED screens are flexable and shouldn't shatter.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]I guess the samsung uses LED scrreen? Oviously the 4S uses a crappy screen, becuase LED screens are flexable and shouldn't shatter.[/citation]

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S use an LED backlit LCD display.

The AMOLED used in the Samsung Galaxy S2 is arguably a superior technology - Super AMOLED actually belongs to Samsung anyway. It tends to be more energy efficient and have better response times and brightness.

G

the drops were random and not controlled. the samsung may have had a lucky fall? there would need to be a rig that guarantees that both phones hit at the same angle and velocity to make a true comparison. all these dumbasses did was destroy an expensive phone and prove nothing

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well I guess that I am one of those that will not need square trades cover at all. I personally use a HTC & now I know that I'm one of those lucky ones that didn't even ponder on my choice of an HTC. I just bought it straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.