iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II in a Drop Test

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
What ever happened to the time with PDA's where the there was an outer case and inner case where the PCB and other components had a buffer area between the internal components and case, allowing a drop to not kill the device.

Also what happened to using quality plastic. Instead of glass and other random shiny materials, if they were to use quality plastic, you would have a smartphone that you can chuck at a wall and not have it break.

All it takes is having a partial inner case that is very rigid (either shaped plastic or metal) then a buffer zone of empty space, then A outer case made up of strong flexible plastic

eg think the plastic on the original gameboy.

Gorilla glass is basically tempered glass that is slightly flexible with a thin bonding layer to stop it from shattering into a ton of tiny pieces that will take forever to clean off of the floor.

The glass cannot take direct impact, it is also not designed to take direct impact, it is designed to have a buffer zone between the screen and the case.

so if the device is dropped, the case can flex slightly and absorb the impact and not send it directly to the glass on the screen.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]cozalp[/nom][/citation]

The issue mainly comes from apple using the glass as a structural part of the phone, instead of it's original purpose of being a scratch resistant digitizer

If you remove the front and back glass, the rest of the device flexes under it's own weight.

With so much reliance on the glass, it is easy for it to break when dropped as you are subjecting the glass to the type of impact that glass is least able to handle.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]If we remove CPU/GPU performance, camera, apps, customer satisfaction rating & battery life (when actually using the phone), then yes, yes it is.This.[/citation]
Maybe you should try use Galaxy S2 for while before talking.
I was using quite few expensive phones until now and so far S2 is best of them.
And I really don't know what is your problem with its battery live when it can last for 5-8 days depend on use.

Of course if you have GPS and Wifi on and play games on it it can dry batery in few hours but same would happen to any phone especially so light one.

Mine last about 6 days with 2 hours calling and some application use and wifi browsing which is more then I got from my previous HTC Diamond with just few calls.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]They get jelly because iPhone news nets more traffic, and is more important than any Android phone on the market. With that said, this is just the weekly treat thrown to the Andtards so they can get out their aggression that stems from their buggy Android OS experience.[/citation]

Andtards.... I like that.... A lot! It sucks for them not to EVER be in the limelight.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
They dropped them in considerably different ways, albeit from the same height, being more careful with the S2 imo. That's not to say I like the iphone, just saying that it may not have been a very well done test.

G

@watcha
"By being able to offer every possible functionality extension that any mobile phone can"

you mean like MMS and push notification and custom ringtones......

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]When is Toms going to do something about these droidfags? They are worse than spammers.[/citation]

Ummm... You are at the wrong site sir.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Nothing is sadder than: 1. Seeing someone use a busted screen; 2. Paying for a service plan to avoid an obvious defect in a product.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]http://blog.chron.com/techblog/fil [...] raphic.pnghttp://blog.chron.com/techblog/201 [...] ereotypes/My personal favourite:'Android users are 71 percent more likely to have never traveled outside the country (maybe they have a CDMA phone that doesn’t travel well!), while iPhone users are 50 percent more likely to have visited more than five countries.'And by the way, if you knew anything about tech, you would know that the iPhone has the fastest CPU/GPU on the market right now :)[/citation]

Umm... most Androids are GSM.

G

So if you're a mouth breather who can't handle a phone for more than 10 seconds without dropping it, get a Galaxy S2.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I love toms, and I don't normally read the comments. But all the pure hatred for Apple is pretty ridiculous. All these comments make me wanna sell my SGSII. I'm not an Apple "fan" but I don't wanna be associated with these abusers.

Grow up. Please take a step back IT'S JUST A PHONE. No one is rubbing an Iphone on your body or something. Just skip over the headline to the next story.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]baconeater[/nom]I love toms, and I don't normally read the comments. But all the pure hatred for Apple is pretty ridiculous. All these comments make me wanna sell my SGSII. I'm not an Apple "fan" but I don't wanna be associated with these abusers.Grow up. Please take a step back IT'S JUST A PHONE. No one is rubbing an Iphone on your body or something. Just skip over the headline to the next story.[/citation]
My bud is ATM, and I'm really scared...

Status
Not open for further replies.