iPhone 5 to Have Dual-core CPU, 8MP Camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Hold it. Are you suggesting that Apple is going to update their hardware to the current industry levels, just like all other manufacturers of cell phones? Earthshaking! What's next? Somehow making the casing material white??[/citation]

There is nothing standard about 2-4 cores in a damn cell phone dude. Just ask the app developers. The only app developers that will probably make use of those extra cores would be game developers (and no Angry Birds will not make use of more cores). Guess what, the game developers that are actually pushing the graphics boundaries make their games for IOS.

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]In terms of this dual core phone... is the software out there actually designed to run on dual cores? Or are we going to have one of those dual-core phones that actually only uses one core.[/citation]

I'm sure that with them launching iOS 5 in the next few months they'll announce dual-core optimization/support and take advantage of it with the new hardware.

This is where Android falls short IMO - all that horsepower and look how poorly they are optimised. Even the WP7 1ghz snapdragons are buttery smooth - moreso than anything else I've used to date.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
This is funny, half of the people here are going to wet themselves over a new phone (yes, its a phone). My half debates the value of multi core, multi threaded apps on a phone. Nevermind we still have the same developers writing mostly single threaded apps for Windows...

Im going back to sleep...

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]People praised Apple for being first to the market with "Innovations" (note the quotes), now they're behind in the hardware department from the get-go.And when I say behind, I mean only a few months or two, they optimize their OS and software so well it runs great even on old devices (like the iPod touch 2g etc)[/citation]
Not true... is one thing to announce it and another to bring it to the market.
Samsung keeps announcing hardware but somehow they always deliver late...

G

Yes its good from the view of performance but its also good for battery backup or its a compromise with battery backup.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]vvhocare5[/nom]This is funny, half of the people here are going to wet themselves over a new phone (yes, its a phone). My half debates the value of multi core, multi threaded apps on a phone. Nevermind we still have the same developers writing mostly single threaded apps for Windows...Im going back to sleep...[/citation]

Exactly lol. Like somehow ease of development does not apply to phones too. Windows and game devs don't really leverage multiple cores that much even on a full sized machine. A number of apps on Apples machines leverage multiple cores but that is only because the apps are professional apps that actually need it like FCP, Logic or the Professional Adobe Apps. These are not entertainment apps, not games, not movie players, not super speed hyperthreaded fully 3d mail applications.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]There is nothing standard about 2-4 cores in a damn cell phone dude. Just ask the app developers. The only app developers that will probably make use of those extra cores would be game developers (and no Angry Birds will not make use of more cores). Guess what, the game developers that are actually pushing the graphics boundaries make their games for IOS.[/citation]

The extra cores could be used by the phone's OS (I'm speaking in general terms, not specific to iOS) to be able to do true multitasking where one app is running on one core and another app is running on the other core. When you aren't running an app, then excess cores go into sleep modes to conserve battery life.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i hope this is true...i have been waiting for something like this...i hope they make the glass a little stronger and have a brushed aluminum back....i am legible for an upgrade in FEB 2012 :)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Apple made a lot of adds back in the day about how much faster PowerPC CPUs were compared to Intel Pentiums. (which was actually true AFAIK)That's why the switch to Intel was so shocking.Funny thing is that in a few years we might see x86 dying and ARM processors taking over the desktop market.[/citation]
ARM will never be able to compete with INTEL or AMD when it comes to desktop platform....ARM is much better when it comes to the mobile market

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i am legible for an upgrade in FEB 2012[/citation]
Yes. I'm sure if you fill out the form and it is legible, you should be eligible for an upgrade.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I read some article about the HTC Sensation coming to T-Mobile THIS summer. Dual-core 1.2GHz Snapdragon, 8MP camera, Android 2.3. The fact that Apple won't be releasing a comparable phone until next year is a clear sign that Apple's dominance in the phone market is on the decline. When Apple no longer has the technological dominance, they have only their brand name. Just like with consoles, developers will start to complain that the iPhone simple isn't capable enough. Apple's dwindling market share won't be enough to keep everyone on board. Users will start to complain that Angry Birds 2015 doesn't support their iPhone anymore. People will become disillusioned, and eventually, Apple will fall back into its normal position of "also-ran". If you don't believe me, look at their personal computer market, they've been there since the early 90's.

[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Great question there. Most people talk a bout companies being behind in the hardware department but in order for the hardware to mean anything the software has to be able to use it. Being that IOS's core is based on OSX it would not surprise me if that multi threaded capability is already there. The question is, will the app's actually use it.Can anyone confirm weather or not Android actually leverages some of the current dual core processors in some of the newer phones?....[/citation]

You argument is that since iOS is based on OSx, it probably supports multi-threading just fine. Well, guess what, Linux supported multi-threading long before OSx was around, and since Android is based on the Linux kernel, using your same logic, I'm going to guess it supports multi-threading just fine.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ARM will never be able to compete with INTEL or AMD when it comes to desktop platform....ARM is much better when it comes to the mobile market[/citation]

The main reason x86 is so dominant in the desktop market is compatibility. It's hardly the most efficient instruction set imaginable.
The basic x86 instruction set was devised more than 30 years ago at a time when processors ran at 10MHz or less and had 1/10,000 the number of transistors of even a "simple" Core2Duo.

I don't know if ARM is the architecture that is going to replace x86, but something has to replace it eventually.

G

What about covert undisclosed tracking features? will it have that?

knownballer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation]You're right. Apple has the weird position of being behind in most places and ahead in others (Firewire, DisplayPort, Thonderbolt, etc.).But, if you ask me, their true "innovation" is not coming up with new ideas, but instead taking old ideas and changing them ever so slightly to the point that everyone wants it. Brilliant really.I personally have a love-hate relationship with Apple. Love their laptops and software, but hate just about everything else about them. Especially their gadgets. Barf.In terms of this dual core phone... is the software out there actually designed to run on dual cores? Or are we going to have one of those dual-core phones that actually only uses one core.[/citation]

Agreed. At least with the first part. I'll add that they have the best showmanship in business. It's not just that everyone wants their gadgets, but believe they were the inventors of many of them. It's crazy how they get away with it, and sometimes I hate them for it. But I can't really say much as nobody else, and I mean NOBODY is able to combine all these aspects in business together.

[citation]I'm sure that with them launching iOS 5 in the next few months they'll announce dual-core optimization/support and take advantage of it with the new hardware.This is where Android falls short IMO - all that horsepower and look how poorly they are optimised. Even the WP7 1ghz snapdragons are buttery smooth - moreso than anything else I've used to date.[/citation]

Even though this is kind of Google's fault, it's more of the nature of the platform than anything else. Both Msoft and Apple have very strict rules on hardware (apple only uses ne a generation of course) so more effort can go into optimizing the platforms. Google, in order to push their platform to as many people as possible have attempted to become the Windows (or errr Linux...) of phones. Problem is, Amd, Nvidia among other hardware suppliers release tons of drivers and spend a lot of effort in ensuring stability and performance. I believe it is up to the phone makers to do this instead of the soc makers right now, and hopefully sombody can correct me on this if I'm wrong. Maybe this will change with tegra but right now it's just not seen as that important. Hate it or love it, this comes with having such an open platform.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Yes. I'm sure if you fill out the form and it is legible, you should be eligible for an upgrade.[/citation]
oops....what was i thinking, lol...tks...sometimes i get so excited that i can't seem to remember the meaning of the words, thank goodness you are here to remind me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.