iPhone 6 Case Gets Battery Power from Thin Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
That's not how this works. RF harvesting has been announced and debunked in the past. The 20dBm (100mW) your AP transmits is down to -20dB (0.01mW) by the time it reaches your device 10 feet away. So stray airwaves are out of the question.

Now we're going to break the energy saving technology in a phone, which transmits only the minimum power level needed to reach a cell station, and *absorb* that energy. Your device will now transmit at higher levels to deal with the shielding.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
That's not how this works. RF harvesting has been announced and debunked in the past. The 20dBm (100mW) your AP transmits is down to -20dB (0.01mW) by the time it reaches your device 10 feet away. So stray airwaves are out of the question.

Now we're going to break the energy saving technology in a phone, which transmits only the minimum power level needed to reach a cell station, and *absorb* that energy. Your device will now transmit at higher levels to deal with the shielding.

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't absorbing RF mean less signal overall for communication, and thus more power usage? I guess we'll see...

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Nikola Labs claims the case can power the iPhone 6 30 percent longer using this technique.
What they don't tell you is that to get even close to that "30%" the phone has to stay in sleep mode the whole time. :)

This case would likely cause weaker signal strength and likely gets near zero power from stray radio waves (only effectively harnessing radio frequencies from the phone itself).

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
The only wasted energy in a phone (or any computing device for that matter) is heat. The day they invent a case that can convert heat back to electricity I would consider it as serious possibility. Anything else lies closer to the scam/hoax realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.