iPhone 6 Teardown Reveals Detailed Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
While I'm sure the iPhone 6 is a great device, I feel like it's a bit underwhelming. Still, people will line up for two weeks to buy it, I just don't see the big difference between this and the 5S, except for the size.

zetabrand

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
This is a useless and biased article written by a man who works for Apple publications and also owns Apple stock. Once again, Tom's Hardware is fully biased for Apple backside with this ridiculous advertisement. The writer cherry picked reviews from the most pro=biased Apple one can find on the net!
They are basically giving an overview of the hardware. Just because the don't devolve into your Apple vs Android trash arguments doesn't mean they are biased. Both arenas deserve a fair amount of praise. You sound like a skeptical ass lunatic. Settle down and come back to the real world, hardyharhar.

SirRaulo

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
The Note 4 will crush this phone. I noticed that the new screens still shatter easily. Overall, Apple is now caught up to the year 2012.

Get Note 3 and it will crush this iJoke the same

Nick Mooney

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
1gb ram, 8 megapixel camera and no HD screen on iphone 6 the designers need to jump in a time machine and come forward a couple of years.

computertech82

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
As one said, this makes the iphone catch up to 2012. it's still 2 years behind other phone makers. But the really sad part is brain dead waiting for hours/days in line just to get a phone!!!!!!!!!!

IthinkImSmart

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Apple is a well run company. For years they have done very well in selling inferior products at high price points. What do you do when you have something people want? You increase the price. Personally I would feel like I've been taken advantage of but clearly their advanced marketing techniques have brainwashed so many into buying their product. From a technical standpoint, knowing this phone only comes with 1gb of RAM makes what I'm writing even more apparent. We need stupid people in the world so that some of us can become rich,

Oldfatguy

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
Why is ram so important to people on a mobile device? its comical, having just 1 gb of ram is no disadvantage at all. Apple's os runs fine with 1gb, that is all that is needed at this time. We are talking about a cell phone here. No one will notice the difference between 2gb and 1 gb of memory. Any smart phone today will be plenty fast no matter the specs. Don't get carried away with specs. The differences are minimal, (tiny fractions of a second). People are going to buy what they want and it doesn't make them stupid that what they buy does not coincide with your views.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Are raw specs really all that important? At the end of the day real life usability trumps all. This is the same argument people had last year against the Moto X. Low specs in comparison to the competition, but it performed as well if not better than another phone on the market in real life usage. Don't get me wrong I love high specs, but the mass majority don't or don't care. As long as the product is stylish and functional people will buy it. I don't think I'm in the wrong to say that Apple has made more people believe that their products are more functional and stylish than their android counterparts.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
For the camera, I feel that apple would do better with a 3-5 megapixel camera instead. One of the issues with smartphones is that the camera sensors are too small for their resolution and thus they rely on strong noise reduction at all ISO levels (when you zoom in at 100% you will see that with the iphone and usually worst with many other smartphones, there are noise reduction artifacts. This effectively reduces the resolution of the image, as the individual pixels are too small to capture enough light. With the iphone and all other current smartphones using tiny sensor cameras, anything above the base ISO causes a significant drop in the amount of detail captured in the image, and thus by the time the camera is at around 400-800 ISO, you effectively have a sub 2 megapixel image in terms of detail.

A lower res sensor with larger pixels will allow for higher ISO's without getting much noise, and thus while you may start at a lower megapixel count, you will have more consistent image quality, even in low light.Right now, the iphone camera as well as the ones found even in some of the flagship samsung smartphones, will offer far worst image quality than even an old 7-8 megapixel 1/2.3 inch sensor point and shoot camera, and that is because at all ISO levels, the smartphone is doing heavy noise reduction and once that sensor in the smartphone camera hits around 400 ISO, the effective detail is extremely low.

A camera is not useful indoors unless it can do at least ISO 1600 with very little noise, and sadly, no smartphone camera can do this at the moment.

Other than that, the iphone needs more RAM. 1GB is simply too low, especially if you plan to do tabbed browsing, or load large images on the web without the device complaining that the image is too big.

Noem

Estimable
Sep 21, 2014
The Note 4 will crush this phone. I noticed that the new screens still shatter easily. Overall, Apple is now caught up to the year 2012.

For me I prefer the Apple OS over Android. As long as the phone does what I need it to do the specs really don't matter.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I see the usual "welcome to 2012" commenters are out in full force. I'de like to know which Android devices in 2012 had the following (or which Android devices from 2014, for that matter).

A second generation 64bit processor, on-device hardware encryption, H.265 hardware encode AND decode, per-App VPN, FIPS certification, multipath TCP, multipeer connectivity or randomized MAC addresses Just for starters).

jameskatt

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus may be "underwhelming" for those with iPhone 5s's because every new iPhone is an incremental upgrade. If you have an iPhone 5, then the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus look fantastic!

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Well, I have a Lumia 1020 with a 41 megapixel camera and to my shock, the iPhone takes better, crisper photos after extensive testing. I'd have to say it's the best camera phone on the market right now. Before you say I'm crazy test it yourself against any other camera out there. Have tested video yet.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Wow 1gb of ram in new 2014 smartphone. Not good.

That was my thoughts as well. The 64bit processor is near pointless and apps will be held back as they wont be able to access more than what is free, which is probably very little. Even with a leaner iOS more RAM would have helped them make it a vastly better phone.

Guess I will have to wait for the Galaxy S6 (Snapdragon 810 64Bit and possibly 4GB LPDDR4) or the HTC One M9.

Well, I have a Lumia 1020 with a 41 megapixel camera and to my shock, the iPhone takes better, crisper photos after extensive testing. I'd have to say it's the best camera phone on the market right now. Before you say I'm crazy test it yourself against any other camera out there. Have tested video yet.

Have you tested it against the Galaxy S4 Zoom? The MP is not as important as the lens and that one has a legitimate camera lens instead of the small ones most have.

Status
Not open for further replies.