iPhone 6 vs. Galaxy S6: Why Samsung Beats Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutheroldvet

Estimable
Apr 9, 2015
Seems the eval criteria may have been weighted toward things the Samsung does well. With more objective criteria, the score would have been closer. Just my 2 cents.

DaBruinz

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015

Closer... Who cares? We, the consumer get great devices whether it's from Samsung, Apple, HTC, LG, et al... Everybody wins. If it has been the other way around, you'd be applauding the results. Take your fanboyism elsewhere...

DaBruinz

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015

Well that was insightful... Please elaborate... Why are you not impressed? Serious question...

manderson018

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
My work is mandating that all cell phones have full data encryption (FDE) enabled. I’d like to know if performance and battery life are impacted on the S6 when enabling FDE, and if so by how much, or should I care as a user? Also, how is the encryption performed on the S6, through hardware or through software using the CPU?

The reason I’m asking is that I’ve read that some newer phones, such as the Nexus 6 with Android Lollipop, are significantly impacted because the encryption is done through software. My understanding is that the iPhone encryption is done through hardware so performance and battery life are not impacted.

I am planning on purchasing the S6. Ultimately, I just want to know if FDE will impact performance and battery life enough to reconsider the iPhone, as FDE will be mandatory.

Raven_Net

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
How about things like reliability, warranty and service. I've had both Apple and Samsung phones and Apple wins in these three categories hands down. Check the trade in values to verify. $80 for my Samsung Note and $175 for my Apple 5s.

Pa Ro

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
The most overlooked feature is ability to load content without the pernicious iTune$ reaching into your wallet every time. I get all my content from Bitorrent sites and beyond the initial cost of my phone, that's all I've ever spent, other than on a few useful apps.

The genius of Apple isn't their hardware, but convincing nimrods to bend over and use iTunes....

elonforme

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
Guys, calm down. The writer of this article talked about how great Samsung is, then wrote an article about how he wasn't switching from Apple. I'm over these comparisons. It's starting to look like insanity to me... over something not that important.

American butler

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
why do you guys think that apple is sooo good? one reason: "Oh you know, it just looks sexy, and I liek Sexxxi.....the movement is sooooo smoooooooth..., yeah, samsung is shiz cuz adroid, nononono smoooothnesss.... No sEXiiii...."

coloboxp

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
No, what is being said is you fail due to no reasoning, other then just being a fanboy.

Apple is for most consumers who have marginal, at best, tech knowledge.

Android is better for those who are more avant gardé. They tend to push the envelope and take risks. Apple people need to be directed. As Steve Jobs said, "people don’t know what they want until you show it to them".

I own both. The versatility and customization of the Android is what makes it better.

Oh my, I know lots of people with even less than marginal tech knowledge that has Android, also I know CIOs, lots of highly educated IT personnel that prefers iOS over Android.

If your comparison were real, so we could compare BMW owners like "car knowledge marginals" and "<pick your cheaper auto brand here>" like car wise, just because they need to fix or upgrade, or open the motor to let the car work nice, as it should, from the beggining! :)

vorth

Estimable
Apr 26, 2015
Why are there so many brain dead, non observant people reviewing these cameras?

1) Wide Angle Lens bad for "selfies". Why? Because not all selfies are taken in the center of the camera, as far away as you can take them. The hype lately is this wide angle lens crap, that allows you to capture more, at the expense of distortion. Apparently, this has become the thing since none of you have an observant eye to catch the ridiculous amount of distortion.

2) The Galaxy series seems to over-illuminate everything around it. I dont know how blind you are mr Mark guy who reviewed this article, but the iPhone takes pictures that look more like reality, the picture of the dog? The left picture would be closer to reality than the picture on the right, its over-illuminated, my S5 does the exact same thing.

You people need to go take some psychology tests to know how accurately you can depict colors and contrast before reviewing articles like these, and you need to take pictures of the "selfies" where you arent dead spot in the center of the screen at max arms length. I have pictures from the Galaxy series that has enormous distortion from every angle and even in the very center of the phone if you arent at maximum arms length.

And yes, I am an Android owner. I hate Apple, but their cameras are vastly superior. No, I do not own an Apple phone, yes I want an Android phone that doesnt have this extreme wide angle lens shit, and my S3 camera took better pics than my S5.

Apr 27, 2015
It looks like you favor the S6 to the fact that every picture you took look at them closer you can tell that the iPhone selfie was much closer to your face into the others because you can tell that you had both arms stretched out to take that picture. Next the The clown art look at the fact that the shadow placement on the ground is in a different place in both pictures. third the picture with the trees you have more detail because you are actually zoomed in closer to the tree look at the difference in the tree and that spanned of the branches you get see much more of the tree and the iPhone then you can in the galaxy wait you were either closer or zoomed in more on the galaxy note just to justify the fact of your pictures are all bunched I would say that you're just a S-6 fan or a galaxy fan and who knows what else you fudged on your research. So before anybody should believe anything you say you should take a closer look at the details in which you display and just your pics and all the other stuff well makes me kind of wonder if it's true too.

Tomnet

Estimable
May 27, 2015
It looks like you favor the S6 to the fact that every picture you took look at them closer you can tell that the iPhone selfie was much closer to your face into the others because you can tell that you had both arms stretched out to take that picture. Next the The clown art look at the fact that the shadow placement on the ground is in a different place in both pictures. third the picture with the trees you have more detail because you are actually zoomed in closer to the tree look at the difference in the tree and that spanned of the branches you get see much more of the tree and the iPhone then you can in the galaxy wait you were either closer or zoomed in more on the galaxy note just to justify the fact of your pictures are all bunched I would say that you're just a S-6 fan or a galaxy fan and who knows what else you fudged on your research. So before anybody should believe anything you say you should take a closer look at the details in which you display and just your pics and all the other stuff well makes me kind of wonder if it's true too.

Tomnet

Estimable
May 27, 2015
there is a reason iPhone sales are a lot higher than samsung. cuz apple is the greatest company ever made

Coolio Tools

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
So many extra features and better criteria that never gets compared, simply because the competition has never had them. The day that Apple adds true system wide IBM Style "Pervasive Multitasking" I'll take my hat off to them. Because of Apple's weaker and though simpler to use mobile OS, it has never never beaten Samsung with Touchwiz on features and productivity!

On hardware..... this time it isn't even close nor will Apple's hardware ever be capable of what Samsung Touchwiz matched up with it's superior Exynos 1st of kind HMP core with HSA Heterogeneous Computing Architecture is capable of. Exynos chips are the only chips now being used in Projects like EU's "Mont Blanc HPC Cluster Super Computer" quest to make an ARM powered super computer that can compete with Intel! .......they are doing it and with Samsung's coming Own designed Exynos, it will enable ARM to make an assault on breaking the Exaflops Barrier!

Something Intel x86 can't do without it's own dedicated Power Plant and nitrogen cooling system. Whereas Samsung Exynos designs coming out are capable of producing the most flops per watt of any chip ever and magnitudes greater efficiency that Intel can ever deliver without also getting HSA like Heterogeneous Computing API's embedded in the metal of Re-Programmable SoC Processors!!!

Add in that because Samsung is the only end to end smartphone maker from chips to marketing even.... with industry leading 14nm FinFet on SoC processors.... no less.... (vs CPU core chips only in Intel x86) is at the heart of why Samsung to this day.... remains not only the #1 Electronics, #1 Memory Maker, #1 OEM Battery Maker, #1 Screen and TV Maker, etc.... et al.... but they are absolutely the #1 Smartphone Maker without a doubt!!! :D

Aromal Prakash

Estimable
Jun 24, 2015
U know what Samsungs latest Smartphone GS6 is a copy of i6...Look at the sides of both the devices...Samsung Really do shit The truth is Apple innovates and samsung Copies.

InfernalSurge

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
ies.[/quote]
U know what Samsungs latest Smartphone GS6 is a copy of i6...Look at the sides of both the devices...Samsung Really do shit The truth is Apple innovates and samsung Copies.

LOL, Apple has made zero innovations in recent years. They didn't invent anything practical, they copied everything and slapped their own name on it. Reusing and improving upon it is fine, but Apple just straight up copies, which is not acceptable.

InfernalSurge

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
And yet... Samsung are struggling and Apple is still the most valuable company in the world. This article completely ignores many aspects of owning a smartphone such as how well two phones of the same type work together. Apple are way ahead on that one.

It's only a matter of time before Apple ends up like Nokia and BlackBerry. Once the leading companies in mobile technology, but now at the bottom of the barrel. Apple will fall one day, and that day will not be far if they don't pull out of their nosedive.

Status
Not open for further replies.