iPhone 8 and iPhone X Fast Wireless Charging Tested: Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles.rogen

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I don't like the amount of heat generated with fast wireless. I only use standard wireless or fast wired.

I'm speaking from my Note 8, but I imagine the iPhones are similar.

michaeld.vbg.coo

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
Mark,
With the battery issues over the last year plus, any charger I use has to "smart" and/or use the IQ tech - both capable of charge throttling to ensure the charge rate does not exceed that of the batteries being charged by these devices. Since most devices are non-OEM device charge units, it matters if something goes wrong with the battery and warranty-related questions get asked. The "smart and IQ" technologies are my hedge against that happening and perhaps the net benefit of lower wait times for complete device power restoration.

My Samsung Note 8 came with an OEM 2.0 amp/5.0 volt (1.67 amp/9.0 volt) plug-in charge unit using USB-C. It is not labeled as "fast", "quick", "IQ" or any other nomenclature. Perhaps this was specified by the Samsung engineers as a hedge against creating battery issues possibly caused by non-OEM charge units available with 2.4 amp or even 3.0 amp (USB-C) charge units. That all said, I rarely use the OEM charger unit.

So, we can all chase after faster charge times using a more powerful/higher amp charge unit, but how safe is that? I ask since most consumers will only "see" that faster rate and not be aware of possible damage to and other risks created by this topic, imposed on expensive phones. I think we can test these devices, but at what point do they create issues and risks, if they do at all? I looking at you, Samsung, given the extensive tests done to prove battery reliability and robust power management designs. Why the throttled back/dialed down power of the OEM charger that came with the Note 8 phone, if higher powered units were judged to be risks to this device?

mgverbaan

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018
usb c charger? examples please? I have a Note8 like above poster, and with the wireless qi it charges fairly well ( I do not time it, as it is by my bedside overnight mostly), and have a 2.4 charger by living room, and rapid charger in car(where it seems the fastest), could you guys do a test on note/galaxy with similar options? ( dont know if the Note8 can recognize the 7.5 one, or the usb-c charger (again example please)

michaeld.vbg.coo

Prominent
Jan 4, 2018

Hi mgverbaan,

Yes, the Note 8's bottom port is USB-C (female) as is the power cord end (male). The roughly rectangular OEM plug you got in the box with the phone has the power specs printed on it, very small in gold-toned text. I also have the "wireless" charger.

Our Acura MDX (2017) has (7) 2.4 amp "Smart" USB charger ports and like you observe, they do charge faster than the OEM supplied plugs which deliver 2.0 amps. My Smart IQ Anker A/C wallplug is also quite fast and is designed to throttle the charge to the target device' ability to accept that power stream.

My question remains as does yours: What are we really doing while using these higher powered charge devices to more quickly charge our expensive phones? How long will it take to create any battery-related issues while we are using these charge units, if there are any latent risks we potentiate through that use?

I know Samsung performed many battery tests to prove their product reliability. But, at what test parameters? What results would a technically competent 3rd party prove?

Status
Not open for further replies.