Question iPhone 8 not handling earphones correctly

Nov 9, 2019
I’ve been having trouble with earphones on my iPhone 8 for a good while now and I have no idea what’s causing it or how to fix it.

It all started with Siri randomly popping up whenever I was listening to songs or podcasts with earphones on, with my iPhone in my pocket. It was annoying, but I could handle it.

Now, however, not only does that keep happening, but 99% of the times I plug any earphones in, Siri comes up immediately and the microphone just plain stops working (regardless of whether the earphone in question has a built-in microphone or not - that doesn’t change anything). Note that the sound keeps coming through the earphones fine.

On the 1% chance that Siri doesn’t come up when I plug the earphones in, then the microphone works properly. On that occasion, there are also three brief clicking sounds as soon as the earphones are plugged in, which I have come to accept as a signal that there won’t be any problems this time around (including the random popping up of Siri!).

I have tried to find people with similar problems but so far haven’t been lucky. My iPhone is up to date, and I haven’t tested with Apple’s official earphones or with Bluetooth headphones.

Any idea what the problem is and what I can do to fix it?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019
There's also a chance the problem isn't with the jack or the headphones you're using but has to do with the audio settings of the device.....Just open up the audio settings on your device and check the volume level as well as any other settings that might mute the sound.

codyteddy

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
I think your earphones might be the problem. It could be the volume/mic controller there, since a long press in the middle of that brings out Siri. And since you said you haven't tried it with Apples's official earphones, maybe try that first before you actually have your phone checked.